Which CPU does your Mac have?

• PPC 32-bit (G4)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PPC 64-bit (G5)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Intel 32-bit (Core Duo)

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Intel 64-bit (Core 2 Duo, Core i3/i5/i7, Xeon)

Votes: 49 83.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

With Mac OS X Lion just around the corner I'm curious on which processors you run Cheetah3D.

Many thanks in advance for participating at the poll.

Kind regards
Martin

Cheetah 3D works much faster with Intel Core 2 Duo compared to a G4. What are the advantages of this new Snow Lion compared to Snow Leopard? I usually hesitate to upgrade to every new OS unless it's absolutely necessary for a program like Cheetah3D for example, which was the main reason I upgraded from the G4, which couldn't be made to upgrade much faster than it was.

Cheetah 3D works much faster with Intel Core 2 Duo compared to a G4. What are the advantages of this new Snow Lion compared to Snow Leopard?

I think it's just "Lion" and not "Snow Lion":wink: Feature wise I don't think there is a real need to upgrade immediately.

Bye
Martin

Reply to thread

I have 3 Macs:

A) Mac Pro: 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon machine with 8GB ram
B) Mac Pro: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon machine with 10 GB ram
C) MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB ram

I think it's just "Lion" and not "Snow Lion":wink: Feature wise I don't think there is a real need to upgrade immediately.

Bye
Martin

;) Thanks Martin. I didn't realize I was typing snow lion. Good to hear the Lion isn't leaps and bounds ahead of Snow Leopard, which is very nice so far, especially with Cheetah 3D. Though I didn't mind Tiger's set up either.

Last edited:
Ha ha, I'm the one person with a G5!

Desperately want a new machine but the bank balance has other ideas. The G5 Quad will have do for a while longer. I have a MacBook as well but it's not powerful enough to replace the G5 as my main machine.

Cheers
Steve

Ha ha, I'm the one person with a G5!

Desperately want a new machine but the bank balance has other ideas. The G5 Quad will have do for a while longer. I have a MacBook as well but it's not powerful enough to replace the G5 as my main machine.

Cheers
Steve

Maybe not how do you find out?

type system_profiler at the command prompt (Terminal) it doesnt seem to be listed as part of the System Profiler.

system_profiler | more will allow you to scroll through the system details a page at a time.

system_profiler | grep 'Processor Name:' should just display the name

I get a few warnings about the command being deprecated, but the last line is the processor.

type system_profiler at the command prompt...

Nah, there's an app for that:

About this Mac, click More Info…. 10.7 will show you your CPU on the right, you may need to click hardware on 10.6 or earlier.

Hi Steve,
I wouldn't be surprised if your MacBook beats your G5 when it comes to rendering performance. At least if you have a Core 2 Duo or better.

Bye
Martin

It is a Core 2 Duo but just had a quick render battle and there isn't much between them. Two of the four renders were less than half a second difference and the other two were a few seconds difference.

The problem I have is that whatever machine I use as my primary needs to be able to handle FCS, After Effects, CS3 and a few others on a regular basis and as much as I love it my MacBook isn't it. I'll just have to keep saving. :rolleyes:

It is a Core 2 Duo but just had a quick render battle and there isn't much between them. Two of the four renders were less than half a second difference and the other two were a few seconds difference.

The problem I have is that whatever machine I use as my primary needs to be able to handle FCS, After Effects, CS3 and a few others on a regular basis and as much as I love it my MacBook isn't it. I'll just have to keep saving. :rolleyes:

I maxed out my Late 2006 Mac Mini on the cheap, over the past years:

Intel Core2Duo M{SL9SD}T7600 = 125.00
Intel X25-M 80GB SSD = 181.99
HyperVelocity 2GB Ram Kit = 79.00
Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11n = 15.00
Apple AirPort Extreme Add'l Antenna (x2) = 5.00
All Shipping was free from various vendors.

Those bench marking utilities out there don't do this thing any justice because nothing seems to slow it down in its feel & navigation (Yeah I managed to slow it down running a GFX Card intensive game or MailMerge processing thousands of addresses but just the App that's performing the task, the Intel GMA950 now plays streams HD Movies without a skip...I can still continue working in other apps without feeling the lag in other background task that's going on). I love my Mac Mini so much more now compared to the first day I got it, this thing is so quick & responsive, I actually prefer to work on it now over my much younger & beefier Macs at work! I'd highly recommend to anyone that's considering upgrading an older Mac to get a Solid State Drive with NCQ support built-in it'll make a world of difference in the quickness, snappiness, speed of OSX or whatever you want to call it.

Regards,
Carlton

Late Entry

Hi,
a big thank you to all who participated at the poll.:smile: :smile:

Bye
Martin

Hello Martin. I had deleted the cookies on my Mac and forgotten my login, so I was unable to respond to the poll until now. I still use a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 PPC with 10.5.8. I realize this means I am a dying breed, and support will likely be dropped for the PPC. Still love Cheetah 3D. Stellar programmer and excellent product. Thank you.

Ron

Back