UV mapping=???

UV mapping=???

Hi!

I`d like to model some simple house models, but Uv mapping always comes back and bites me in the ass. The problem is that the mapping ALWAYS gets outside of the UV mapping box in Uv mapping mode; and it also gets rotated extremely random. Please, can someone help me UV map this model and tell me how they did it so it didn`t mess up. (It´s a 2 story building)
(texture attatched) And no, I dont want to look at some old tutorial.

Thanks! :D

Attachments

• HouseUVhelp.zip
    219 KB · Views: 395
Don't forget that you can scale and rotate in UV mode so it fits into the white space, I find that I almost always have to do some scaling and rotating once unwrapped

No unwrapping needed.
FlatProjectionHouseUVs.jpg

Hi.
Don´t complicate things. The UV mapper in flat projection on a selection of polygons will give you the most freedom in mapping this kind of meshes.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Franks method is good - and worth learning. If you're determined to stick with unwrapping you'll need some seams...

Attachments

• uv.png
    uv.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 682
  • House.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 389
If you're determined to stick with unwrapping you'll need some seams...

To line up the texture this way seems too troublesome. I really recommend the UV mapper - it´s all it takes - really.
FlatUVs.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• HouseUVhelp4U.zip
    221.8 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
To line up the texture this way seems too troublesome. I really recommend the UV mapper - it´s all it takes - really.

Cheers
Frank

Hey, thanks for replieing so fast. I found a way to to it by myself tough :) have a look! If youve got any constructive to say, please do :)

Attachments

• render1.jpg
    render1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 715
Issue Resizing/Rotating UV Mapping

I've been following along with the tutorial by Andrew Hayworth. During the part about UV mapping the open box, he is able to select all the pieces on the left screen UV Editor and resize and rotate the unwrapped parts. For some reason I'm unable to do any transformations except for moving one box at a time, which stretches the entire object out.
I can't even get the transform tool to appear on the left screen in the UV editor. I'm doing a select all with the edge mode on to highlight all the edges in red, and I hit T to transform, but the tool only appears in the 3D view on the right, nothing on the left.
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 594
Hi and welcome.
First make sure your model scale is 1:1:1 by using the "Burn transform tool" from "Coords" at the Tool´s menu.

What tool you have active right now? I can´t see it in your screengrab.
Ist your center point at the transform widget a box?
ScaleIssue.png

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
the tool I had selected at that point was simply the transform tool. of course when i went to redo the quick project..and i followed step by step multiple times, i get the unwrapping below which completely makes me lost...

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 391
A: You can upload the file.
B: Have you tried instead of setting seams for the whole object just select a bunch of polygons and unwrap them? ( In my example just one seam is needed in one corner.)
C: Which version of Cheetah3d are you running?

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• BoxUnwrap.png
    BoxUnwrap.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 365
I've uploaded a zipped program file. I have not tried selecting the polygons instead of the individual seams...I was just trying to follow along to the tutorial.
I'm using 5.5

Attachments

• Box.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 350
This is an old thread, so I'm wondering if there is a newer tutorial on the crease, seam and unwrapping process for UV Editing.
I'm not getting the same results as others on the resultant UV pane. Clearly, I have no idea what I'm doing! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 12.25.29 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 12.25.29 PM copy.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 255
I already see 3 points at the thumbnail where I missed seams:
Seams.png

Organic models are always tricky to unwrap - maybe upload and we can have a play with it.
My video was just about the UV-mapper, which doesn´t help much here.

Cheers
Frank

Thanks Frank, I did those seams (edge selections) on the other side, but forgot to do so on this side.
My real problems are in the process. My understanding is that the seams are made from
creases, neither of which I can do consistently. Also, I can't attach the project with
the 'attach file' method. What's the other way, I have forgotten!

I really want to understand the process, Frank! I'd appreciate any guidaance you my have.

Attachments

• H_UV test.jas.zip
    101 KB · Views: 232
Before going into a lengthy video I´d want you to do: Select every seam and toggle to release set seams.
First fix these 2 points by welding to middle and one spot underneath the tip of the bill.
Then: Edge loop select around the bird like you did except: don´t loop around the area where the wings are connected to the body, because it will make every wing 2 solo objects. Loop select around the bill and underneath it to the very spot.
Select every polygon and call unwrap UV with ABF. You have to group select the islands and make a decent layout on the square template to export as PDF for the painting process.
Lets see how it goes with your firebird.
Another option is for example to unwrap just the half of it and assign a symmetry-modifier later because your model seems 100% symmetrical:
Weld2middle.jpg

Cheers
Frank
PS: here´s the file so far:

Attachments

• H_UV test4U.jas.zip
    108 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Back