phong tag for import .stl?

phong tag for import .stl?

Hello everyone, congrats to Martin for this impressive program!

Martin won't like this, but I do most 3D models in CAD programs like Concepts Unlimited, Cobalt,... then import them into Cinema 4D for rendering and now am trying out cheetah for the renderings and i am very very impressed but need help on a fundamental passage.
In Cinema 4D I apply a phong tag to the .stl objects i import to turn the facetted polygons into smooth surfaces.
Importing .stl polygons in cheetah, what can i do in order to smoothen the facetted surfaces? i didn't find a phong tag, is there another method?

I imported a .stl file into cinema 4D, smoothen it with the phong tag. then exporting a .3ds file, importing that into cheetah the object is all smooth. why? i didn't manage to identify a difference in the object browser.

can anybody help me on this?
Bye,
Kristian

Hi Kristian,
thanks that you like my app. :D

Don't worry also Cheetah3D can display .stl models nicely phong shaded.

The problem is that a .stl file doesn't contain any information of how the triangles are connected. But to smooth the normals the triangles must be connected.

The only thing you have to do now is to check on the "remesh" property in the .stl file loader preferences in the Preferences window.
If this property is checked on Cheetah3D connects als imported triangles to a mesh. And the final mesh should appear nicely phong shaded.

Hope that helps.

By,
Martin

P.S. The phong shading properties of Cinema are directly in the Polygon object properties.

Back