Celtic Pattern

Celtic Pattern

Regarding this thread Edge Extrusion I started this one for fun.
Cetlix4small.jpg
MyCelticBloodTitle.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
hey frank,
awesome idea and great texturing !
is the gridlines shot (2. pic) a catmull-clark of a simpler pattern ?

- archie

very nice 2.5D artwork Frank!
my fav is the 3rd one (2nd row, left shot)

it reminds me of some years ago when I used to read books and books about Celtic traditions (then it became kinda "stylish" and I lost most of my interest... but not my admiration). now I'll go finding an old "Celtic patterns" book of mine :smile:

cheers,
Alessandro

Thanks mates for your kind words.

@Archie. This is the just the bare wire from where I start the extrusions - no Catmull nor Clark.

@Alessandro. I used to draw a few of these patterns&knots in vector to make a collection of stamps we manufacture&distribute.
Some of them are really tricky and awkward to realise in Béziers - but they have to be.;-)

Cheers
Frank

PS. BTW the cover is an orthographic rendering containing the heading as geometry as well. So no postwork here and there.:cool:

Wow ... cool. Really nice modelling and very cool textures! Even the blood looks really nice ... :icon_thumbup:

Looks like there was a huge battle ... great stuff.

cheers
Wolfgang

That is a very nice image, Frank! I like it a lot. :icon_thumbup:

However, I think the bloody one is a bit busy visually. Also, there seems to be missing a theme, like an object placed on the scene that tells a story or directs your attention. I don't know, it could be a dagger, a ring, a flower, maybe dead leaves.

Can't wait to see what else you do with it.

Very cool, Frank. I did a bunch of letters in Celtic style.

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 933
  • k.jpg
    k.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 924
  • q.jpg
    q.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 928
  • j.jpg
    j.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 924
cenofobia

That is a very nice image, Frank! I like it a lot. :icon_thumbup:

However, I think the bloody one is a bit busy visually. Also, there seems to be missing a theme, like an object placed on the scene that tells a story or directs your attention. I don't know, it could be a dagger, a ring, a flower, maybe dead leaves.

Can't wait to see what else you do with it.

Sorry Andreu... feels like you 'suffer' from Cenofobia...?:wink:

The theme is there allright, I think, see it as a painting.
If it is nice to look at, it's okay!
I once saw a painting 20 sq meters, all blue.
There was less visible theme than in this creation... Still it is a famous piece of contemporary art.

It's like the so often heard:
Sometimes less is more (...more or less)

grtz.,

Miguel

Regarding this thread Edge Extrusion I started this one for fun.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank,

Nice and quite convincing, at least for the second row ! The last one is so far out of my understandings that I just can't comment.

For all celtic pattern's lovers and just in case, there is a nice Mac software to generate these : KNOTSBAG
Knotplot is also another free software capable of exporting in .dxf and .STL.
See also the main page with lots of links.

The last one is so far out of my understandings that I just can't comment.
Thanks François. Don´t take it too seriously. Maybe I shouldn´t have past it into the gallery forum.:rolleyes:
The links. I know all of them - partially from OS9 and below. Challenge is to draw them manually via Béziers. ;)

Cheers
Frank

For all celtic pattern's lovers and just in case, there is a nice Mac software to generate these : KNOTSBAG
Knotplot is also another free software capable of exporting in .dxf and .STL.
See also the main page with lots of links.

françois, thanks so much for those links, obviously lots of fun is waiting there !

in the meantime i made a seamless map from a cheetah model, just to be prepared when we get sub-polygon displacement...

- archie

celtic.jpg

Last edited:
françois, thanks so much for those links, obviously lots of fun is waiting there !

in the meantime i made a seamless map from a cheetah model, just to be prepared when we get sub-polygon displacement...

- archie

View attachment 10483

Bloody hell!!!! I never would have thought. :smile: I bet that would look cool in chrome. :icon_thumbup: But that would be a nightmare wouldn't it? I pray no one ever asks me to do that. A great job as always Archie.

And Frank, your method is amazing, mate. :smile: :smile: :smile:

f
Sent it to Bryce and earned a bunch of Celtic worms.
Very cool, Frank. I did a bunch of letters in Celtic style.

Cheers
Terry
Yikes! Wished for my old grayscale crt monitor. :D
Just thought of how much more easy that would be in zBrush&Co.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• CelticWorms.jpg
    CelticWorms.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 562
It's all got to be bright for the games people, bling, bling, bling! :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-15 at 13.18.34.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-15 at 13.18.34.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 559
Thanks François. Don´t take it too seriously.
I didn't. I know you ... :cool:

Maybe I shouldn´t have past it into the gallery forum.:rolleyes:
Why not ? Technically, it's great. Maybe that's what I should have said

The links. I know all of them - partially from OS9 and below. Challenge is to draw them manually via Béziers. ;)
I was sure you would ... I also started with 7.0 and a Quadra 700 ... Geeh.. !
And I agree on the challenge

Back