Stencil or Mixmap?

Stencil or Mixmap?

I searched the forums for stencil and mixmaps but couldn't find anything.

I'm trying to construct a set of nodes that will allow me to mix 4 different tiling textures maps based on an 32 bit image whereby each of the 4 channels yields the amount of each of the 4 textures to mix into the final color.

Examples from Blender are here:

Text tutorial:

http://feeblemind.tuxfamily.org/dot...de-textures---tutorial-using-texture-stencils

A video tutorial using a character:

http://www.blendercookie.com/2008/12/21/texturing-with-stencil-maps/

In Cheetah 3D node editor I found the "mix" node type and you can input a texture into the mix property but I can't figure out how to use a channel of an image to do that.

Is this possible in Cheetah 3d?

It doesn't need to work exactly as I specified above, what I need to do is simply have tilling textures applied as a decal based on a non-tiling mask texture.

Thanks

hi bibbi,

something like that is possible with grayscale maps in image nodes as posted here.

using an rgba pic would be difficult in my opinion, the fourth channel is interpreted as transparency in cheetah and i don't think it is accessible as a map.

with a normal 24 bit pic though you could use the vec2float node as shown below to separate the three channels and have them controling the textures (i used procedurals in the example).
do i get that right that you want to achieve additive, not complementary mixture ?
like color black would be no texture, color red would be texture number one and color white would be all three textures additively blended ?
so that's possible i think but with four channels i recommend to make four separate grayscale maps in photoshop or whatever and use those with a mix node each.

Screen shot 2009-12-26 at 1.07.40 PM.png

update i have not really used the image node yet but just realized it has an intensity input, that means you can do without mix nodes.
as below, the first column would be image node with grayscale maps driving the intensity of the second column texture image nodes (maybe with tiling).
for complementary mixing you could plug the color of an image node into the mix color of a second and then do the mixing with a procedural or directional or again image map into the mix input.
i think the basic functionality is implemented in cheetah, you really have to play around with the image nodes until it looks like you intend :smile:

Screen shot 2009-12-26 at 1.40.17 PM.pngScreen shot 2009-12-26 at 2.16.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for your post. Both the post you linked to, and your ideas, are very much in line with what I'm trying to do, with the first post being a great example of exactly the final effect we want to achieve.

Cheers

Back