MakeHuman and BVH

MakeHuman and BVH

After some digging, I figured out a problem I was having with the free MakeHuman tool. There is a new version out since the last time this was in a thread on this forum:

MakeHuman

For Mac OS X, it turns out that, contrary to the documentation, when you click on the Export icon (no feedback by the way) your model is exported NOT to the exports folder in the MakeHuman folder in your Applications folder, but into the application bundle itself. You will need to right-click or control-click on the application, choose "Show Package Contents", and then look in contents/resources/exports.

It saves an .obj file, a .mtl file, and a .bvh file which describes the skeleton. The .obj file alone is incredibly useful and imports into Cheetah easily, but I would like to bring in the skeleton as well.

Can anyone give me a tip for importing the whole package? Is it possible? Thanks!

Hi.
Cheetah3d can´t read BVH files - but you can use Blender for a conversion to FBX.

Cheers
Frank

Aunt Edith says: "Script master Hiroto wrote a script for importing BVH files. Super cool. Look into the script download forum."

Last edited:
Thanks Frank. I had seen a tutorial using Blender for MakeHuman exports to Unity, but I'd rather use Cheetah as much as possible. I'll try Blender for the conversion.

FYI I tried Hiroto's OBJ import script and it does not pick up the separate .mtl file. So looks like Blender is the key.

Attachments

• MH_Cheetah.jpg
    MH_Cheetah.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,369
One more followup - the developer of MakeHuman stated (in October) that the location of the exported files in OS X would be user definable in the next version (beta 4) and that the default locations would be as follows:
  • All exports will be stored in the user's 'document' folder at Documents/MakeHuman/exports/
  • All user's models will be stored in the user's 'document folder' at Documents/MakeHuman/models/
  • All screen shots made by the user will be stored on the users Desktop
I will try to keep an eye on this and update as needed.

Back