Procedural Space

Procedural Space

All the materials in this scene are procedural, including multiple variants of procedural hull plating, and the nebula and starfield backdrops.

Attachments

• Procedural Space.jpg
    Procedural Space.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,561
I can do one better. Attached are the three basic materials (there are several variations on hull grey in use -- some reflective, some not). To use the starfield and nebulae, create two big spheres centered on the camera, one slightly larger, and set them not to cast shadows etc. The larger gets nebulae, the smaller gets starfield.

Attachments

• Space Materials.zip
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,168
  • space materials test.jpeg
    space materials test.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,496
old man smiling

... and another very useful hint provided by podperson.

somehow i missed this, and never would have thought one can make dots with an upscaled noise.
of course i had a go at the nebula, starting with my colorlights, then adding the stars in the same shader with lengthy finetuning of the gradient.
this was put on a ball with radius five and adjusted with gamma 1.0.
when i added a planet the distant fractal issue kicked in that is that full 4x oversampling needed for the stars wasn't enough, so i went with 8x though, well, i need the area render please !

View attachment galaxy3.c3dmat.zip

nebula2.jpg

Last edited:
... and another very useful hint provided by podperson.

somehow i missed this, and never would have thought one can make dots with an upscaled noise.
of course i had a go at the nebula, starting with my colorlights, then adding the stars in the same shader with lengthy finetuning of the gradient.
this was put on a ball with radius five and adjusted with gamma 1.0.
when i added a planet the distant fractal issue kicked in that is that full 4x oversampling needed for the stars wasn't enough, so i went with 8x though, well, i need the area render please !

well done Archie!
now this is the right background for you alien's construct...

cheers,
A

Dear podperson

very slick and insightful, I think that this and a few other posts really does give rise for the need to a proper website mat library that is monitored. Over to the powers that be...

Regards

Luke

of course i had a go at the nebula, ...

Wow, WOW, ten times WOOOOOW!!!!!!!! This Space Image looks so great, I am speechless. Archie you are a material system master! Thank you for sharing. I am looking at this connections in the Node Editor and hope one day to understand...

Podperson too

Wow, WOW, ten times WOOOOOW!!!!!!!! This Space Image looks so great, I am speechless. Archie you are a material system master! Thank you for sharing. I am looking at this connections in the Node Editor and hope one day to understand...

Podperson you are also a master!

I am looking at this connections in the Node Editor and hope one day to understand...

thanks novus,

your enthusiasm is much appreciated !
the View attachment basicnebula.c3dmat.zip is rather simple. a fractal shifted by a turbulence and darkened with the power node (numbers smaller than one multiplied get even smaller).
now decreasing the fractal's gain gives more detail, increase softens. as i want both, i take the turbulence again but this time the color with black changed to grey, so i have color output between 0.5 and one. this gets multiplied with 2.7 resulting in a 1.35 to 2.7 range for the fractal gain, so i have now some areas softer and some more detailed.
for the colors i could use a gradient but there's a more subtle solution:
splitting the fractal into three color channels and pitching them differently. so i make two copies of the fractal node and set the time values to 0, 0.02 and 0.04 and get them together again with the float2vec, here used as float2rgbcolor.
i add one more noise cause still too many clouds.
the starfield by podperson is also quite simple, noise times fractal, adjusted with a gradient. i use my turbulence origin instead of the fractal and finally add the gradient to the clouds, and that's it.
next step could be to add a direction to have the nebula on one hemisphere only: View attachment galaxy4.c3dmat.zip

i hope i made sense, if not, ask please !

fractal animation

Great job Archie. I never followed through on my experiment (as usual ;-) ) so it's good to see someone picking up that ball and running -- sprinting -- with it.

I forgot about this. These are great images of space. I usually don't use mats, so my question is, how do I import them using Cheetah? Thanks.

any tips on how to use it properly?

all my stars seem to be too flaky, not really sharp, and there is very little stars only. the nebula looks pale at best and like a 16-bit rendering, looking at the color transitions.

the screenshots look amazing though, so the error must be at my end. any pointers?

ps: i want to make a skycube (cubemap, 6 images) for a real time 3d game. any rendering tips (lens/size/lighting/etc) are also very welcome.

edit: for instance....

Last edited:
this is just a baked preview i have done. stars look much better (and smaller) in "real" renderings. my concern is about the nebula, which looks like someone poured green and blue juice into black coffee, not really cloudy.

I've been trying to get the "opaque gas clouds" look working using the approach described thus far:

The top render is an old Project Weasel starship model with procedural materials and detail (why not?)

I've rendered a random patch of space and a panorama to show the effect, and I've attached the starship model with the procedural space environment for good measure. There's a lot of subtleties in the materials, including how the stars are shaded.

Attachments

• starship.jpg
    starship.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 459
  • space.jpg
    space.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 464
  • space_360.jpg
    space_360.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 452
  • starship.jas.zip
    76.9 KB · Views: 629
great color! :icon_thumbup: I would reduce the size of the "bigger" stars to let the universe looks huge.

Back