animating a book

animating a book

i have a problem animating a book, i was trying to use edge rotate but it seems like it doesn't work so well when the object has thickness to it (like a shell) and it distorts the object does any one know what could be a good way of creating something like a hinge that allows to open the cover of the book

will appreciate any advice
thanks
Asi

yes, but

i need to open the cover and i want the cover to have some thickness so i don't know if I can avoid the gap that will be created

i need to open the cover and i want the cover to have some thickness so i don't know if I can avoid the gap that will be created

I think you can avoid the gap if you do it carefully. Look what I did, it's 3 keyframes, take out the middle one and you get a gap. So when you see a gap make a new keyframe and correct the position. Hope that helps.

For a paperback....

... it´s pretty simple if it´s going to be stylized and not so realistic.
I made two boxes and introduced the hinge by burning transform.
2 Keyframes; one at closed and one at the opened book.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• OpenBook.jpeg
    OpenBook.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 578
  • OpenBook.MOV.zip
    220.7 KB · Views: 407
Thank you

Yes I will definitly play with it, and I will assume that there not too many options at this point to animate it, is that right?
By the way, are you a magician frank or did you use this cover randomly (I am a full time magician)
Thanks for your advice
Asi

Yes I will definitly play with it, and I will assume that there not too many options at this point to animate it, is that right?
By the way, are you a magician frank or did you use this cover randomly (I am a full time magician)
Thanks for your advice
Asi
Hi Asi - that´s why I type in "by A.W."
Recently saw some clips of yours: absolutely stunning!:icon_thumbup:
You have a new fan from this part of the globe.

So what kind of book you´re after? Paperback or Hardcover?
So many options: joints and morphs.

Cheers
Frank

As Frank says, there are lots of options, and I'd go for joints if you want to have things like pages curling at they're turned.

Thank you both

Frank, it's so funny I didn't recognized my own initials.
Well the project I am working on is for an instructional video, and I want to create a hard cover book and I am only trying to open the cover (none of the pages, I would be very intersted to know how you could use morph or joint for this since I have tried to use morph and edge rotate but when it opens the length of the cover changes between the initial state to the opening (hope this make sense.)
Also I would like you to see the kind of work that I do as a part time editor and video production, if you can go to youtube and serch "resonating images" you'll see the first video, and I recomend watching it in HQ

Thank you so much for your help so far,

Asi

Hi Asi.
That´s pretty straight forward - and far from perfect, but I had just one go. I think you´ll get the idea:
OpenBook4U.jpeg
BookOpen_Close.gif

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SoftCover.MOV.zip
    172.7 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Back