Turning a page

Turning a page

Hi all,

I bought C3D some months ago, but I only used it for very simple animations of logos I imported from Illustrator.

Now I'd like to do some serious work: A book or magazine with turning pages.

Has anybody here ever done such an animation, or a similar one?

I have managed to map a plane with the scan of a book page and to animate the "bending" of this object using "Wrap".

But one thing that really bothers me is the origin of the plane (or anchor point, as it would be called in AE). How the heck can I change it? :confused:

Ha, I found something for changing the origin:

I moved the object so the general origin was where the object origin should be, and then:

another thread in this forum said:
Tools > Coord System

And then click "Burn Transform" -- will reset the selected objects origin (to correspond with the global origin)

And it works!

Now I can go on. I hope I am on the right path.

:cool:

Hi.
Well - define "turning page". I mean how? From a corner, with a hand, blown from a ghost, with naturally looking warping etc. The biggest deal I think will be the texturing as Cheetah3d don´t use doublesided polygons by default.
For the anchor point search this forum for "pivot point".

With kindest regards
Frank

Hi.
Well - define "turning page". I mean how? From a corner, with a hand, blown from a ghost, with naturally looking warping etc. The biggest deal I think will be the texturing as Cheetah3d don´t use doublesided polygons by default.
For the anchor point search this forum for "pivot point".

With kindest regards
Frank

Hi Frank,
thanks for the swift reply.

At first, "blown from a ghost" would be sufficient.

The animation will be used to present a magazine concept to a publisher. So if it looks better than the usual flash pageflip effect, the work has paid off.

I am downloading the tutorial from kagi right now and I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks again. :)

I started answering this post about half a dozen times and bailed out everytime because it's one of those projects that seems easy but can be a real pig to get it to look right. Unfortunately, I'm not in front of C3D right now so my advice to you is: look at morphs, joints and poses. Nearly everything in C3D can be animated but the above mentioned are good ways to block out key frames and then tweak the tweens.
Sorry I can't be more help at the moment but I'm chained to Illustrator.

Andrew :)

Hi.
This is a very quick hack without any proofing and additional adjustments- right from scratch using the WavyPlane.js script.

With kindest regards
Frank

Edit: added a book:p

Attachments

• PageFlip2.MOV.zip
    157.6 KB · Views: 491
  • PageFlipLoop.png
    PageFlipLoop.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Frank, that looks great.

I have experimented a bit.
Instead of using a plane, I thought about using a very thin box, so I can apply different textures to both sides of the paper.
I couldn't find the wavyplanes.js, but if this is only for planes I can't use it anyway.
Maybe bend.js is what I need, I downloaded it but I can't get it to work :confused: It does not change the appearance of the box.

How is a script like bend.js applied properly?

add pic

It does not change the appearance of the box.

You need at last a few iterations/sections on the box object. ;)

Cheers
Frank

PS: Aunt Edit say: "There´s a native Bend-modifier" built in already"

Attachments

• BendAPage.jpeg
    BendAPage.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
I always get confused, but I think you need to place the script inside the object. Or is it the other way around?:frown:

Back