Displacement Modifier Test from ZBrush

Displacement Modifier Test from ZBrush

I found good sample file for displacement map from ZBrush forum, try to render those scene with Displacement Modifier.

those file (obj) can be imported with Cheetah3D, only change disp texture tiff file to 8bit auto leveled from 16bit with Photoshop.

Head : Subdiv iteration:5 and Disp offset:0.834
ch_sub5_DespTestHead_NG.jpg

Sword : Subdiv iteration:6 and Disp offset:3.5
ch_sub6_a_ZSwordLowRes.jpg
ch_sub6_b_ZSwordLowRes.jpg

quite good results:) but, now I have no idea to create disp map.8)

tg_jp

Re: Displacement Modifier Test from ZBrush

tg_jp said:
quite good results:) but, now I have no idea to create disp map.8)

tg_jp

Very nice. Isn't a displacement map made the same way as a bump?

Hi,
these are really nice images. Wow. It's good to hear that it is possible to move data from ZBrush to Cheetah3D. :D

Jake, a displacement texture is the same a bump texture. In both textures you define the displacement with a offset which will be set by the grey scale color value of the texture. The differnce between displacement mapping and bump mapping is that displacment mapping actually transform the mesh while bump mapping only modifies the surface normal.

By,
Martin

Hi, Jake.

I knew how disp map is working, sorry for my english. :wink:

I meant that Cheetah3D has not UV map editor or direct polygon paint function yet, so I have no idea to make disp map for high polygon detailed model like those images.

those two model are very low polygon model, but disp map change model amazingly.

ch_head_ori.jpg
ch_sword_ori.jpg

tg_jp

can displaced model be saved...?

Is it possible to save the high resolution model after the displacement texture has been applied?

You want the hole bunch of polygons? Just doubleclick the "polygon object" icon between the name of the mesh and the blue "mode" icon.

With kindest regards
Frank

thanks I will try that. I am wanting to use the resulting highpoly mesh for stereolithography.

Yes it is. Just make the polygon object with the displacement modifier editable. That will burn in all modifiers into the polygon object.

Bye,
Martin

Hi,
have you read the "Displacement" and the "Modifier" sections in the documentation? Could you post a screenshot or a example file where you have problems?

Bye,
Martin

Anyone have a copy of that original head and texture? I have a version, but I think I may have altered the tex ort .obj in the past and am getting strange results in C3D.

Thanks.

Bob

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I was wondering if the original poster still has the file.

I have a version of that file, but am not getting the same results shown here with the exact same settings.

Thanks!

Bob

Here is a screen shot. Can't get the file down enough to send it.

I did not do anything that I can recall to the displacement map. Not sure if that needs adjusting.

The displacement offset seems way too high for my file.

Got the setting from the first post in this thread.

Bob

Attachments

• C3D-displace-head-test.png
    C3D-displace-head-test.png
    309.2 KB · Views: 366
I think it´s based on the size of the imported object - and reducing the Offset-value doesn´t affect the look?
You can send the files over here and I will look into it:

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
I'm sure there are factors I don't have correct. Increasing contrast in the map in PS helps and also reduces the offset numbers in the modifier.

I'll send you exactly what I used in the screen shot.

Thanks, Frank.

Bob

Back