Toon Renders (quick and dirty)

Toon Renders (quick and dirty)

Repost from my response to the General thread on this topic.

Attachments

• Page_1.jpg
    Page_1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 4,522
  • faux-toon.zip
    12.2 KB · Views: 961
  • Page_2.jpg
    Page_2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 4,436
Last edited:
Non-trivial example (basically opened up an existing model, deleted all the lights and camera tags, made all the textures except the ground highly reflective, and added my HDRI probe).

Attachments

• marine.jpg
    marine.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 4,385
Neato!

That's pretty cool!

Do you know of a technique to do classic toon shading w.r.t. thick black edges for those edges that span front/back faces w.r.t. the camera?

I've done toon/cel shading for games in OpenGL but adding it to the bag of tricks in C3D would be nice!

Thanks,
Brian

There's no way to render thick outlines etc. in Cheetah 3d (because it renders the back faces of polygons).

With post-processing you can use filters like Photoshop's Accented Edges (this works even better if you use materials specifically to make picking out the object boundaries easier).

For realtime 3d, you can create a larger "shell" around the model, flip all the normals in the shell, and set it to be desired outline color (usually black).

All of this is a pretty poor substitute for a proper toon / cel renderer or shader, unfortunately.

There's no way to render thick outlines etc. in Cheetah 3d (because it renders the back faces of polygons).

Well - a second mesh with a membrane material will do the trick - for now - but this approach will be a dying breed - so never mind. ;)

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• CartoonGromit.jpg
    CartoonGromit.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,344
Last edited:
Well - a second mesh with a membrane material will do the trick - for now - but this approach will be a dying breed - so never mind. ;)

With kindest regards
Frank

Frank, when you say aa second mesh with a membrane material will do the trick. What does that mean? I really like the style of Gromit even if it is a dying breed. :)

Think of a second skin lying proud over the first mesh - slightly larger (via normal scale) with an added membrane texture.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• CartoonContur.jpeg
    CartoonContur.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,545
Think of a second skin lying proud over the first mesh - slightly larger (via normal scale) with an added membrane texture.

Cheers
Frank

I tried that, Frank. Very tricky stuff. Fine for a box or ball, but a complex shape . . . hubba bubba! It would be cool if like Photoshop you could put a stroke around the mesh, so it was even all round. :)

Well - it´s not bulletproof, but achievable.
Hopefully Martin considers celshaders in the new material system.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• CartoonAlliens.jpeg
    CartoonAlliens.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2,572

Cheers
Frank

That's pretty cool, Frank. Easy when you know how. I've been trying to animate a nice wavy flag like yours. No chance, just isn't cutting it. I can animate the flag, but it looks rubbish. I think I need to give up for a while Thanks as always. (It's the settings :confused: )
TerryG

Cheers
Frank

I was able to get this cool trick to work, though it does double the polygon count as suggested. Very nice for still frames, or simple objects moving about. Thanks.

Back