Brewing Beer In Cheetah3d

Brewing Beer In Cheetah3d

As a little introducing and a sign of admiration for Martin´s great work as the developer of Cheetah3d I like to share this tutorial. It deals with spline modelling, followed by using the lathe- and symmetrietools.
Educated as an graduated illustrator, evolved as an artist and sculptor, I was ascertained what 3d.applications will indicate to my work in the future. Virtual 3d is absolut new to me and trying different apps ends in frustrating results, until I´ve tried Cheetah3d. This was fun from the first second on.

The tutorial download of the 1,4Mb pdf starts here: Brewing Beer In Cheetah3D
I added an .jas-file for download with open splines. Feel free to play around with this and maybe you like to post some of your work.

Any impressions, suggestions, questions or feedback would be fine (and don´t spare with critics.)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• BeerTutBottleSplines.jas.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 805
  • BeerTutTeaser.jpg
    BeerTutTeaser.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,883
Last edited:
Hi Frank,
fantastic work. That is a very well writen tutorial. Even the layout of the tutorial is eye candy. Great. Finally there exists a tutorial which explains spline modeling in Cheetah3D. Thank you very much.

This is a definitive must read for all Cheetah3D users. :D

By,
Martin

P.S. And thank you very much for your nice words of course. :D

label positioning ...

A question for Frank Beckmann or anyone who has put a label on curved object like on his exellent article about making abeer bottle, the tutorial is very clear except for the bit where you placed the label in the bottle ? How did you do this ?

In other programs you can mix textures and include and alpha on the top so that glass textures shows through, So did you create anothe bottle with the label and alpha or did you pick some polygons from the bottle and assign the label texture to that area ?

Help here would be greatly appriciated as I’m doing some projects that will have labels on and doing propley in cheetah would be a great help.

Regards

Luke

Luke. I need a bit more time.
The Tutorial was made with Cheetah3d1.5Demo.
And I can´t run the Tiger for 3.0 on my G3.
But I´m on it.
With kindest regards
Frank

frank beckmann said:
Luke. I need a bit more time.

Thanks Frank

I think I might have worked a way to do it, which is duplicate the main object and enlage it a bit then add the label texture with an alpha mask and use the UV mapper to position it...I think that's how you did it, but I'll wait for the answer.

Regards Luke

Hi Luke,
this is my best attempt in 2.6.1. I just split the polys where my label should appear. It´s highly recommmended that the split should not touch the first mesh. I don´t know why the label motiv itself is a bit transparent too.
With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• LabelingGlas.jpg
    LabelingGlas.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 5,899
Martin said:
Hi Luke,
maybe it is better if you ask questions concerning a certain (forum-) tutorial directly in the thread of that tutorial. So all questions and answers about that tutorial will be always together.

By,
Martin

Thanks for the help Martin it's really good of you. I kind of came to the same conclusion, but just made a copy of the model and as per your tutorial, made sure that the copy was slightly larger and not touching the original whch allowed me to move the label (with an alpha channel
) around more freely.

Maybe, the ability to mix textures on one surface should be a feature in a later verion of Cheetah !?

Regards

Luke B

luke Bocchinelli said:
In other programs you can mix textures and include and alpha on the top so that glass textures shows through, So did you create anothe bottle with the label and alpha or did you pick some polygons from the bottle and assign the label texture to that area ?

Luke,
I hope it's not too late but I just "re-discovered" your questions. I was going to answer and then ... other things came on the way. Anyway :
- 1st image : This is a test image of a current real project. In both cases (glass and bottle), selected polygons were used. But the glass has a .png texture (with alpha) for the label area while the bottle has just a straight .png (like a .jpg)
- 2nd image : Starting to take shape ... Because of the bottle's profil in that area and the shape of the 360° label I have, the top label is on a separate larger mesh slightly in front of the bottle's mesh. The texture is also a .png with alpha. But I still have to resolve the mapping on the back.
I will try to post final images when they are done.

François

Attachments

• BR1.jpg
    BR1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 5,958
  • BR2.jpg
    BR2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 6,043
Francois said:
Luke,
I hope it's not too late but I just "re-discovered" your questions.

François

Dear François

No it's fine and it bears out what I did which is have a slightly larger mesh when the label you need has to curve over an irregular surface and I did use an alpha aswell on a tga file. to get over duplication you need to have a lot of white space round the image so when it's placed on the mesh it only appears once

Regards and Thanks

Luke

Hi Francois, nice images. One thing though, I think the brown glass in the first image lacks reflection or something. The speculars are a bit matte as well. Has this something to do with the alpha maps you used? The glass in the second image is much better!

Regards,

Peter

peer said:
Hi Francois, nice images. One thing though, I think the brown glass in the first image lacks reflection or something. The speculars are a bit matte as well. Has this something to do with the alpha maps you used? The glass in the second image is much better!

Thanks Peter.
I agree. The 1st image was done much before the second one and was just to test the glass+alpha images+shadows. There was no HDRI. The 2nd image was done later and is very similar to the bottle accepted now by the user. I am currently redoing a similar scene to the 1st image

Phil

hey guys. erm i'm kinda new to Cheetah3D. haha can anyone tell me how i can actually get textures for my objects in the first place . do i get them from the internet or? just i havnt got any and i would Appreciate anyones help. thanks :smile:

beer can?

How about a tute on texture mapping a label on a can? I did this one years ago in Amapi 4 (even version 6 is now fre):

http://www.thebest3d.com/amapi/tutorials/materialeditor/tut-images/3gringos.jpg

The tutorial is here:

http://www.thebest3d.com/amapi/tutorials/materialeditor/index.html

It would interest me to see a bunch of tutorial on something similar, from modeling the can, cutting out the opening at the top, and especially mapping an image on the cylinder outside. Then also some planer mapping like on signs and billboards, with transparency masks in the alpha channel of the same image or a separate image for alpha?

-Philip
thebest3d.com

PS: The free version of Amapi makes a great companion modeler to Cheetah. There are some subdiv-modeling tools and curve-based construction tools that are awesome in Amapi, like Gordon surfaces. Very very powerful and easy to use for creating complex shapes when you have just a bunch of 'wireframe' profile curves and section curves, holding the mesh like a scaffleding.

Back