Jello

Jello

I'm looking to create and animate an object that has some "jiggle", sort of like a character or object made of Jello.

Does anyone have any pointers as to how I might best accomplish this in Cheetah?

I'm looking to create and animate an object that has some "jiggle", sort of like a character or object made of Jello.

Does anyone have any pointers as to how I might best accomplish this in Cheetah?

No advice per se on how to do it but ever since I spotted this elsewhere on the internet I have had an itch to create something out of jello. :)

https://dribbble.com/shots/1502703-Jello?list=users&offset=9

I suspect with the right material, sub-division and animating with bend modifiers at different points, this should be possible.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing some more Jello here.

..... and animating with bend modifiers at different points, this should be possible.
I think a combo of twist&crumble modifiers would be very suitable. Depends on the shape of the object of course. In the linked example it´s just "twisting" back+forth.

Cheers
Frank

An alternative may be to apply a soft body tag to the jelly and place it on a hard body plate. I am not a power user of dynamics, but a quick test does not look too bad. Playing with the parameters should help.
How to stop the jelly from wriggling itself off the plate is another question :tongue:

Servus from Vienna

Hi chuckl

Good fun question.
I played around with the Isosurface Creator a bit.
I posted two links to very short movies on You Tube that I made of my attempts to make jello jiggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLam1cjGBA4&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePgwLcTcN1M&feature=youtu.be

I also attached two .jas files.

I spent more time trying to use lighting correctly for glass and water. It seems I have tons of information from the forum but I still couldn't do better.

If anyone could "Shed-a-Light" on the lighting subject I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• Jello Jiggle.jas.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Jello Me.jas.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Jello Jiggle.png
    Jello Jiggle.png
    233.2 KB · Views: 443
Great attempt Jeanny :icon_thumbup: Here's my stab at this basically using Frank's suggestion with a little extra tinkering. I used an 8x8x8 cube (no subdivision necessary) & I added a Twist, Bend & Crumple Modifier. For the next part you need Hiroto's wonderful "F-Curve Utility" script:

http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8339

What this amazing script can do is create a sine wave oscillation between two settings to repeat as many times as you like AND even set them to decrease over time. I set the Twist, Bend & Crumple to have a sine wave oscillation - the trick was to have the number of repeats be different for each modifier - the visual result looks more real with the different rhythms creating some randomness. Check out the images and sample file below. If anyone needs any coaching on how to use the script - just chime in.

Attachments

• jello-4.gif
    jello-4.gif
    444.4 KB · Views: 392
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 1.12.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 1.12.38 PM.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 1.12.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 1.12.59 PM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 377
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 1.13.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 1.13.14 PM.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Jello-3.jas.zip
    30.7 KB · Views: 252
:D That is excellent Rene!
I agree with Zoohead. It is very realistic.
Excuse my exuberance but it is so exciting for me to see how you and other advanced 3D masters work.
Thank you so much for posting your .jas file along with a detailed explanation and an invite to ask for more help.

Though I am fascinated with isosurfaces using one was not the best functional method to use here.
Though I was finally able to square the jello chunk off better it still did't look realistic
and the method I used was tedious.

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• Jello.png
    Jello.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 352
Certainly looks great Rene - I can't seem to get any - "Tool Script" scripts to run other scripts run fine however ...

Certainly looks great Rene - I can't seem to get any - "Tool Script" scripts to run other scripts run fine however ...

I believe I may have encountered what you're describing - it is simply a User Interface Layout issue. When you're in the default Modeling Layout - there is a "Tool" section beneath "Properties." When you're in the default Animation Layout, there is no Tool section.

Solution 1: Customize your Animation Layout to accommodate a section for "Tools"

Solution 2: Work in Modeling mode (Tool section already visible) - to see the F-Curve, I right click on the bar above the Materials section - you then see a drop down menu with various options - select "F-Curve editor" and then do your work.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• f-curve.jpg
    f-curve.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 269
Thanks for your time Rene - I thought I had tried everything and then after installing "Numeric Move.js" which was the first of about 5 "Tool Script" scripts that actually ran it appeared all the rest started working too. I can only assume something along the lines of what you are saying is the reason and I kind of missed it... :) Anyway your suggestions have cleared some vagueness from my understanding of the interface layout, thanks again.

You're right — I was exaggerating. Although, the results you're showing are pretty bad — to get decent results you need probably 100k-1M photons per light and you'll want to use two passes* (one for reflection and one for refraction, with materials tweaked for each pass) or you'll have nasty artifacts.

This increases rendering times by a factor of 3-4 (based on a few experiments) for one pass. For two passes you'll need to do setup and tweak materials, which is more work — and it's a lot of trial and error to get good results no matter what (e.g. I don't think Jello should create insanely bright caustics, do you?)

* Unless materials are ~50% reflective, or purely reflective or purely transmissive (i.e. virtually never) only a tiny proportion of photons will be reflected or refracted from a given object, resulting in very poor results. I think C3D should change the way it renders caustics to always treat 50% as reflected and 50% as transmitted, but vary their intensity.

You can't fix the problem by using insane numbers of photons (e.g. 10M) either, because caustics crap out when you use too many photons (not sure if this is rounding errors).

Last edited:
Great attempt Jeanny :icon_thumbup: Here's my stab at this basically using Frank's suggestion with a little extra tinkering. I used an 8x8x8 cube (no subdivision necessary) & I added a Twist, Bend & Crumple Modifier. For the next part you need Hiroto's wonderful "F-Curve Utility" script:

http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8339

What this amazing script can do is create a sine wave oscillation between two settings to repeat as many times as you like AND even set them to decrease over time. I set the Twist, Bend & Crumple to have a sine wave oscillation - the trick was to have the number of repeats be different for each modifier - the visual result looks more real with the different rhythms creating some randomness. Check out the images and sample file below. If anyone needs any coaching on how to use the script - just chime in.

Thanks to Jeanny for sending me hear! Couple of things...

I can't see where you used the F-Curve Linker script. I don't physically see it anywhere.

Can this (or something similar) work on only part of an object? Say, I had a character and only what the belly to jiggle.

Thanks!

Bob

Can this (or something similar) work on only part of an object? Say, I had a character and only what the belly to jiggle.

Thanks!

Bob

It looks like you may be on the right track for isolated jiggle.

I downloaded Makehuman, made a fatman, exported with rigging. (breasts are rigged)

Without looking into how to work this complex
script, I was able to jiggle his left breast.

Attachments

• IsoJiggle.gif
    IsoJiggle.gif
    360.8 KB · Views: 191
That's great...creepy, but great!

So, how did you get it to just jiggle the one area without delving into the script. I assume you mean the F-curve linker script?

Bob

That's great...creepy, but great!

So, how did you get it to just jiggle the one area without delving into the script. I assume you mean the F-curve linker script?

Bob

Makehuman puts a bone on each breast, I just moved
that joint and used Hiroto's F-Curve Utility Script.

You can't see the bone in Cheetah because Makehuman doesn't put
an end on it, so it doesn't show up in the 3D view window.
It is in the bone hierarchy though, so you have to dig for it.

Attachments

• IsoJiggleMH.jpg
    IsoJiggleMH.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 183
Back