Help Bending a plane

Help Bending a plane

Hello,

Another newbie here with hopefully a simple question. Can anyone tell me how or point me in the right direction (turorial) as how to bend a plane object smoothly? I have done the 1st three tutorials in the manual. Making the plane to have mutilpe sections and then using the transform tool in polygon mode isn't doing it (like with the axe). Is there a tutorial related to this? Attached is an image/diagram of what I'm trying to achieve, should be simple I think! I want it to look like a piece of paper bent, or a page curl if you will...

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• plane.gif
    plane.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 436
Just make it editable and select the sections you don't want then delete. Then you can scale it how you like.

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

Ok.

But if I had a plane, is there a simple tool or modifier to bend similar to what the cut cyclinder looks like?

Ok.

But if I had a plane, is there a simple tool or modifier to bend similar to what the cut cyclinder looks like?

Hi and welcome.
You can´t bent just a plane unless it become somehow subdivided.
If you want more chemistry to be more flexible the "wrap-modifier" will be your tool of choice.
One can try this:
1. Generate a plane with say 10 by 10 sections width&depth, orientation "Z".
2. Add the "Wrap-modifier" to the plane.
3. Make your adjustments in the properties.
Here you go.

You can have a look in addition here: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2040

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• WrappedPlane.png
    WrappedPlane.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

In addition to Frank's solution, here is another one for various shapes:
- Drop a rectangle spline object into a polyplane creator object
- Make the rectangle editable by double-clicking it
- Play with the spline tangents in point mode
Have fun.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 401
texture on the plane

Ok, I really hate to sound like such a noob but I'm having issues applying a texture/material to the plane. When I load a img (jpeg, gif) into the color->texture pane of the new material it shows up in the material browser, but when I apply it the the plane (PolyPlane with Rect. Spline) it doesn't show up in the 3d View (modeling) or when I render. I've encountered something similar when a material (say solid color) will preview on parts of an object and not others (Like the soccer ball tutorial, some of the black polygons would not preview or render even after black was applied)???

Similarly, can I move the position of the applied image in the material. Basically my plane type object is to be a piece of paper and the material is an image like a logo or drawing applied in the material. So I want to be able to have it only show once (non-repeating) and center in the polyplan object.

thanx

Last edited:
Back