Multiple FBX motion captures to move a character?

Multiple FBX motion captures to move a character?

Hello,

I have the following situation:
- several motion capture files in fbx format
- a single mesh
- I need to get a combined motion sequence to this single mesh from all these different fbx files (jump, run, whatever) and then to export to Unity

It appears that I can load an fbx file, which shows as a skeleton in Cheetah3D, I can then attach this skeleton to the character mesh and I get the charcter to perform this single animation. But how to combine the other motion captures to move the already skinned mesh? If I load multiple fbx:ses multiple skeletons appear for all the different movement clips of the same skeleton, but I don't know how to proceed from there to combine these animations to a single character movement.

Any help appreciated,
- sirmmi

Hiya,

I too would like a pure cheetah solution for this, Where we can import an amimated skeleton, move it into t-pose, bind to mesh and vertex weight, then import a whole heap of mocap files and link them to the origional skeleton....

There is an interim workaround: Do one mesh bind really well, weighting the verts nicely, export to unity.

Then in a new scene creat a cube, make it editable and imort a new skeleton animation, bind it to the cube, export to unity.

In unity drag the box's animation onto the bound mesh animation slot. The animation data should transfer. Its all scripting beyond that.

See:

http://hagley.school.nz/home/c260527/MotionCapture.html

AC

I second Targos' suggestion

He helped me through a similar problem and it worked great in Unity. The one thing I would caution is to beware of any translation data in the mocap (for lack of a better term). I had problems in Unity with the animation actually translating my character, instead of simply running (for example) the walk anim while applying motion with the Unity character controller.

Hope that makes sense.

Let me try again: I had an issue when the mocap keyframes actually had positional data (for the root) in addition to joint rotation data. When such an animation was played in Unity, the bound character naturally was repositioned according to the mocap data (this of course could have been entirely due to my lack of experience in doing such things). Things worked much better for me when the mocap data simply animated the joints/bones and I actually moved the character (translate in X-Z plane) through Unity. There, hope that makes more sense :)

Last edited:
Back