Lighting

Lighting

... I have done some searching of the forums and didn't seem to find what i was looking for, but I wanted to making some renderings of night time scenes and I was particularly interested in lighting effects.

Is there anyway for lights to give off that "star burst" effect? I am willing to work around any hack needed to get the desired effect.

.... although upon further reading, it might have something to do with my poor vision. But I'd still like to get the effect.

I used google images to find this to show what I ususally see:
http://home.hvc.rr.com/r800x600/images/astroturf.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks all -- I'll try that, but I guess what I forgot to mention is that this would be animated... so photoshop really doesnt help much. But I'll use it for the still renders.

You could perhaps try placing a plane, with the lens flare as a transparent texture, just behind the light source, and then use the target tag to keep it pointing roughly at the camera. The illusion may break depending on the movements of the camera, but I haven't tried it myself, so I have no idea how well it would work.

I'd suggest rendering two passes:

One "realistic" and one with just the stuff you want to flare (basically adjust the lighting and/or do some post-processing so only the flares are visible).

Then you should be able to run an appropriate filter on the second and composite.

Or if you only want a few specific flares, you could simply animate them in FCP (or After Effects, or whatever).

Here's a quick example from Motion:

Attachments

• Page_1.jpg
    Page_1.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 291
Back