Model And Render A Magnifying Glass

Fantastic vids

It's your videos which I stumbled upon when deciding which 3D app to purchase..And hence convinced me to get Cheetah3D and it's your videos which have given me such a good grasp on Cheetah. They are fantastic!! Love the accent too. He he.

I learn so much from following along with your project/tutorials!!

There are only a few times where I've had to go over and over to figure out what that superfast keystroke was. Lol.

Anyhow. Thanks and keep them coming!! :D

Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate any comments on my tutorials as I'm never quite sure if they're actually helping anyone.

As for the accent, too much time in the north of england I'm afraid!

Definitely helping. They are a wealth of information.
And i find people learn much faster from having actual projects to follow along. Anytime i am trying to figure out how to do something that i want to do (like make an edge rounded and smooth etc) i go to your vids :)

Too much time in the Nth of England?? LOL I spent the first 4 years of my life there. :) Pity i've lost most of my accent now, as i live in Australia. Anyhow. I find the accent really nice to listen to.

(sorry if i'm sounding a little too enthusiastic, or even forward. lol )

Will you be continuing to make video's now and then?

This video is great and I follow along perfectly until it comes time to apply the wood texture to the plane that forms the floor.

In the video, the image you use covers the sphere in the materials browser fully, whereas in my case it doesn't and the plane in the modelling window appears to have no material at all applied. If I render the scene, I get a circular pattern instead of a proper image. I'd be grateful for any pointers as to what I am doing wrong.

I have tried various wood textures that I have used satisfactorily in Sketchup but I get the same problem with all of them.

(The cube is in the scene just to see if there was something about applying materials to a plane but I get the same failure with the cube).

Thanks,
Chris

00000013.png

00000014.png

Last edited:
Difference is:
You assigned the procedural wood shader , which can´t be displayed in 3d view - just rendered - while Dave used an image texture in the diffuse channel of a standard material.

Cheers
Frank

Frank,
Thank you very much. Somehow this procedural shader had become assigned to the default in the materials menu.

I am still fumbling my way around so have yet to figure how this happened, also how one distinguishes the two kinds of shader. I did assign an image to the thing just like Dave in the video and up to that point had not noticed any difference in what was on our screens.

My node editor now looks like that and things seem to work. Initially, the very top choice in the add materials menu "Material" gave me the procedural shader. Now it gives me a standard material that accepts an image.

MagnifyingGlass.jpg

I now have to play around still more to get the particle mesh to look brighter. I followed Dave's video instructions but can't get mine looking like his despite a multitude of trials, moving lights, playing with the size of particles etc.

Anyway, as my first render, I am not too disappointed. Thanks a lot Frank.

Regards,
Chris

I'd just like to add my thanks for the tutorial! I'm very much a 3D newbie your tutorials are excellent (and Cheetah3D is the easiest package I've found).

I followed the tutorial once, then repeated it again without the video, to ensure I actually understand what I'm doing, not just mimicking you! ;) In this one alone I learned how to do 'lathed' objects (ring cuts, ring & loop selects..), particle meshes and reflections. Not bad, thanks!

FWIW, my effort is below. Not sure why I'm posting it, it's just like all the others! The lighting seems a bit 'over exposed'? But I'm focusing on how to model different kinds of objects for now.

BTW, Chris, if you're still reading this thread, did you apply the silver material to the cylinder that forms the grip? It looks like you might have applied it to the boxes that form the mesh, but not the background.

Attachments

• MagnifyingGlassSmall.jpg
    MagnifyingGlassSmall.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 360
Back