Product Render Studio

Faux SSS on éléphant in the product shot setup

Attachments

• faux sss.jpg
    faux sss.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,016
done...

I've tested your scene with some products.
The front is a little to dark - so I just moved the top lightbox a little towards the camera and adjusted the angle: very nice!:icon_thumbup: Thanks.

Yeah, it will need a little adjusting depending on what you're working with - I'll be recording a short tutorial at some point showing what you can adjust quite easily.

Any chance of posting a render?

new tests with a new model and procedural leather material (based on archie's work)...

cheers,
Alessandro

Attachments

• tanja_variations960.jpg
    tanja_variations960.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 930
Hey Weedo

That one seems to be lacking a bit of brightness, you could bring the softboxes in a little closer.

This took forever to render, but I love the end result! :D

Great lighting set-up, novolume! I wish more of this kind of stuff was available in the forums. :smile:

-- GS.

Attachments

• optimus prime NVlighting.png
    optimus prime NVlighting.png
    321.2 KB · Views: 866
This took forever to render, but I love the end result! :D

Great lighting set-up, novolume! I wish more of this kind of stuff was available in the forums. :smile:

-- GS.

Looks good GS, might just benefit from bringing the overhead softbox slightly forward to light up the front a little more.

Just out of interest, how long did the render take?

Looks good GS, might just benefit from bringing the overhead softbox slightly forward to light up the front a little more.

Just out of interest, how long did the render take?

Roughly nine hours, (it says 32,952 secs, don't know if I calculated that correctly). My computer isn't the fastest, it's from 2007 or so. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try that. :D

-- GS.

Last edited:
Roughly nine hours, (it says 32,952 secs, don't know if I calculated that correctly). My computer isn't the fastest, it's from 2007 or so. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try that. :D

-- GS.

Wow, that's crazy! I haven't rendered anything that took more than 20 minutes in a long time.

Hi,

I also tried my luck with this marvellous studio setup. Great stuff novolume. :icon_thumbup::icon_thumbup::icon_thumbup:

Everything looks amazing (certainly to my untrained eye) in no time... even for guys like me who have very few rendering / lighting skills
(so any comments / suggestions are welcome) ...

Attachments

• pencil.png
    pencil.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:
(so any comments / suggestions are welcome) ...

the pencils look awesome, there's just one thing that I would change: the point

graphite is a lighter grey and has a subtle reflection: you could try to use the current black/dark area as alpha for the wooden part and create a semi-metallic shader for the underlying graphite end... what do you think?

the pencils look awesome, there's just one thing that I would change: the point

graphite is a lighter grey and has a subtle reflection: you could try to use the current black/dark area as alpha for the wooden part and create a semi-metallic shader for the underlying graphite end... what do you think?

Thanks, I appreciate your insights!
I'll give it a try...

Is this better (I probably overdid the shinyness) ...

Attachments

• pencils2.png
    pencils2.png
    329.1 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:
Yeah I agree maybe a bit much. It can vary greatly depending on the type of graphite in pencil. There's a hardness scale and a darkness scale for graphite. http://www.pencils.com/hb-graphite-grading-scale I think those look like pencils that you would see for scoring (like golf or bowling). They'd be in the darker and harder scale. Typically because the pencils would last longer, keep a sharper edge and the marks wouldn't smudge as much. I definetely like the chipped paint! It adds to making the image look more realistic. Thanks!

Yeah I agree maybe a bit much. It can vary greatly depending on the type of graphite in pencil. There's a hardness scale and a darkness scale for graphite. http://www.pencils.com/hb-graphite-grading-scale I think those look like pencils that you would see for scoring (like golf or bowling). They'd be in the darker and harder scale. Typically because the pencils would last longer, keep a sharper edge and the marks wouldn't smudge as much. I definetely like the chipped paint! It adds to making the image look more realistic. Thanks!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Very informative Swizl (I should use more reference material :redface: )

What about this one...

Attachments

• pencils3.png
    pencils3.png
    313.7 KB · Views: 815
Back