Emissive Material Scene Lighting

Emissive Material Scene Lighting

Before I go through the trouble of writing this up, would anyone be interested in some techniques I applied to create this scene... It is lit using only emissive materials and radiosity. I discovered some interesting ways of controlling the amount of light coming from the materials [collectively and independently]. LMK if you all want a write-up!

(Before anyone yells at me for this post, I searched the forum and did not see much that covered this, so please forgive me if this is a repeat.:wink: )
lighting.png

Last edited:
Before I go throughout the trouble of writing this up, would anyone be interested in some techniques I applied to create this scene... It is lit using only emissive materials and radiosity. I discovered some interesting ways of controlling the amount of light coming from the materials [collectively and independently]. LMK if you all want a write-up!

(Before anyone yells at me for this post, I searched the forum and did not see much that covered this, so please forgive me if this is a repeat.:wink: )
View attachment 16536

Really cool effect - count me interested in the write-up. :)

Hello! This tutorial will explain how to light a scene in Cheetah 3D using only materials. I will explain how to set up the file, add the materials, and then apply them to the objects that you want to emit light. One of the challenges is to understand how to manipulate the radiosity settings to give the results you desire, but don’t worry, it only sounds complicated… I will include two versions of the scene we will be using. Consider the first version a “workshop” file (called emissive_tut_workshop.jas) and the second version a “finalized” file (called emissive_tut_finalized.jas) complete with all of the final settings for desired rendered results using only emissive materials to light the scene.

Here are the tutorial files. Please download the file called emmisive_tut.zip and unzip onto on your hard drive:View attachment Emmisive_Lighting_Tut_V2.zip

1. Open the file called emissive_tut_workshop.jas.

2. Next double click the “Purple Light Material”

3. In the properties window, double click click on the emissive color block and set the color to bright purple purple as your emitter color.
You will see that the sphere object called “Purple Light” already has the “Purple Light “material applied, thus turning a luminescent looking color in the viewport as well as the material editor.

4.Now render the scene. It looks like crap. That is because we need to add a "radiosity tag" to the camera to properly process the materials light emitting properties.

5. Select the camera in the object browser and apply the "radiosity tag" directly to the camera from the "tag" drop down list. Now hit render…

6. Not quite there yet… The scene is blown out because the radiosity "property" type is set to “Ambient Occlusion”… we need to set the type to “radiosity”. Do this and hit render again.

7. Ahhh.. now that’s more like it! The sphere is now illuminating the scene. But how do we control the intensity of the light you ask? Simple I say! Just adjust the inensity of your radiosity settings… Set the "intensity" to 5.0 and hit render…

9. Now the light is 5X brighter!
Tip: Set your radiosity to the highest you want your brightest light. Then just use the materials emissive color to control the objects light output. Darker purple means less light output! This means you can have some object putting out more light than others without having to screw around with the radiosity intensity setting.

Bump up the radiosity sample setting to reduce the schmeg in the scene. Now go through and play with the scene materials and try changing the intensity by using different colors. Remember, the darker the color the less light it will output.

Hope this makes sense???

Last edited:
Cool

Nicely done. This'll be useful for me.

BTW: the two Cheetah files in your ZIP archive have the same settings, but different names. I think you saved the wrong file for the "workshop" one.

Cool effect and great tutorial - thanks. :)

I opened the workshop and it already had the radiosity set though...

Arrgh... I knew I would screw something up! :mad:
I just updated the zip with the proper files! Thanks for the heads up Hairball and Chuckl

Thanks and I hope you can use this to your advantage!:D

Last edited:
I apologize in advance if this is an illegal post, but here is a link to my server with screen shots and a final render. This forum limits images so I didn't want to abuse it by posting three separate posts for the tutorial...

Annnnyway. Here is the link to my tutorial: Emissive Light

Ooooo yeahhhh, I'm there!

I'm trying to create neon signs for an amusement park model and need to use them for some of the area lighting. I'd also like to learn how to attach some sort of glow to the tubes & all.

Let's do it!

You use a radiosity tag and materials with emission. If that's not enough information, try searching the forum for glowing or neon. It's also covered in my book.

Back