Material that allows light to pass through?

Material that allows light to pass through?

Hi all,

First off, I'm totally new to Cheetah3D and pretty new to 3D modeling, so pardon my stupid questions.

Anywho, I'm trying to create a model of a warning light (something kin to this: http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/50573939/Warning_Light.jpg). Now, I got the model done, and added a light inside and the problems started.

After googling for a while, I found out how to do a translucent material that creates a glassy-feeling for the object, but now when I put a light inside the glass, the light does not extend outside of the object.

Is there a way to create a material that allows a spot light to "shine" through the material, and light objects beyond the object that it's enclosed in. Currently my material is a membrane.

I've attached two images: screenshot of the edit mode which shows that the transparency and the light seem to work properly there, and then the render, which has me pulling out my hair.

Help appreciated!

--
Tuomas

Attachments

• in_edit_mode.png
    in_edit_mode.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 561
  • rendered.png
    rendered.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 552
But now I changed it to "None", and it worked!

Scary thing is that I have no idea why. This probably isn't the path to a knowledgeable Cheetah3D user ;)

Change Light source shadow to "Raytrace+trans" as Novolume said and take a colored Glass-shader instead of the Membrane-shader:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• WarningLight.jpg
    WarningLight.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 546
Back