feature request: Strata .s3d import/export

feature request: Strata .s3d import/export

Hi Martin,
Great job!
I know you have a long todo-list, still I’d like to add a few requests:
- a .s3d (Strata 3D Pro) import/export plugin would be great. :)
- unit setting (m/cm/mm, inch/feet)
- some feedback of coordinates, camera-window size (in pixels) etc.
- as requested by somebody else: bigger output (5000x5000 - 8000x8000)

Thanks in advance.

Alexng

Re: feature request: Strata .s3d import/export

Hi,

Alexng said:
- a .s3d (Strata 3D Pro) import/export plugin would be great. :)

That's quite difficult because I think there is no documentation for the .s3d file format available. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Alexng said:
- unit setting (m/cm/mm, inch/feet)

That would be alot of work. So probably not in the near future. But is is desireable without any question.

Alexng said:
- some feedback of coordinates, camera-window size (in pixels) etc.

That's already on my to do list.

Alexng said:
- as requested by somebody else: bigger output (5000x5000 - 8000x8000)

The next update will offer 4096x4096. Is that really to less?

By,
Martin

Re: feature request: Strata .s3d import/export

Thanks for the quick reply!

Strata format: oh well, no big problem. Strata can import 3ds, import and export obj, 3dmf and dxf. I just don’t have much experience with these formats, so basically I’m a bit lazy! :wink:

Units: I’ll be patient (a little bit) :wink:

Output: it’s already quite usable, but 8000x8000 or so would be very nice - I do a lot of print work and bigger output gives you more flexability (sometimes you want to crop an image and still have enough resolution left).
In Strata StudioPro 1.75 Blitz (old) (4000 px width max), when I needed to render for a big print (A2+), I used to render in 2 or more (overlapping) slices of the camera-window.
For an A3 print at 300 dpi you need: 42 (width in cm) x 300 (dots per inch) / 2.54 (inch in cm) = 4960,6 px. For a bigger print you may not need 300 dpi since you won’t look at it close-up, but still, some excess resolution would be nice. For billboards you may even go for 72 dpi or so for the same reason. With 4096 px output coming in the next update the print resolution for an A3 would be 247,7 dpi. It’s close, but if you decide to crop the image, you loose resolution (or size).

Anyway, thanks for a very promising app! Keep up the good work! :)

Greetings,
Alexng.

Back