Beginners guide to Cheetah3D

Beginners guide to Cheetah3D

Thought I post some details about a C3D DVD I authored. It's aimed at new users or those who want to get up to speed with the basic features. I've tried to cover enough areas so new users of C3D can proficiently model, texture, light and render a basic scene. There's more info on my website: www.antialias.me.uk. Basically if you found the tutorials on my site useful then you'll find the DVD equally as informative.

DVD 1 outline:
1. Introduction to the user interface.
2. Polygon modeling tools.
3. Using the co-ordinate system.
4. Tutorial 1: Modeling inorganic objects using polygons.
5. Tutorial 2: Modeling organic objects.
6. Tutorial 3: Modeling a cartoon character.

DVD 2 outline:
1. Procedural materials.
2. Custom materials.
3. Camera objects.
4. Light objects.
5. Render manager.
6. Tutorial 1: Adding materials to tutorial 1 DVD 1.
7. Tutorial 2: Glass materials using the UV tag.
8. Tutorial 3: Adding materials using the UV editor.

Title: DVD Vol. 1- Cheetah3D: For Beginners
Format: PAL DVD
Media: 2 DVD's
Duration: 3hrs. 30mins.
Aspect: 4:3
Region: 0
Sound: Mpeg
Language: English
Subtitles: None

Andrew:)

Hi Andrew,
many thanks for making these DVD's. Now there are even trainings DVDs for Cheetah3D available. Very cool. :D

How does the cover of the DVD look like? I'm just currious. :D

Bye,
Martin

Awesome, simply awesome! I've watched all the videos you have online. Thank you very, very much!

P.S. I'm interested in English dialects and accents. What's yours? Where were you born? Did you live anywhere outside your home city for a long enough time to affect your accent?

Hi Andrew,
I was looking around on your website gallery and there was a render of a spikey cube. Was that done in C3D? If so, would you please tell me how you made it:).

Thanks,
Greg

I just purchased your DVD set tonight Fused. I am really excited because based on the tutorials on your website they will answer alot of basic 3D questions that I'm to dense to get intuitively:) If you would like, after I get them I wouldn't mind writing a quick customer review for your site. Let me know and thanks.

I just purchased your DVD set tonight Fused. I am really excited because based on the tutorials on your website they will answer alot of basic 3D questions that I'm to dense to get intuitively:) If you would like, after I get them I wouldn't mind writing a quick customer review for your site. Let me know and thanks.

Thanks Cushdaddy, I'm glad you like the tutorials on my site. The DVD develops the site tutorials and covers alot of Cheetah3D features. I'd love to see feedback on the DVD, so let me know what you think.

Hi Andrew.

Thank you for the fast delivery - just 2 days - cool!! :D

I'm new to Cheetah 3D and your tutorials and your videos are really great especially for me as an beginner - it is a great help.

Also the sound/speak is very clear and you know what you want to show us!! I know lots of other vidoes, so yours are perfect, great job! ;)

Thank you very much.
Wolfgang

BTW: Is there planed another course/dvd for Animation? :D

Hi Andrew.

Thank you for the fast delivery - just 2 days - cool!! :D

I'm new to Cheetah 3D and your tutorials and your videos are really great especially for me as an beginner - it is a great help.

Also the sound/speak is very clear and you know what you want to show us!! I know lots of other vidoes, so yours are perfect, great job! ;)

Thank you very much.
Wolfgang

BTW: Is there planed another course/dvd for Animation? :D

Thank you very much Wolfgang, I am glad you like the DVD and I hope it helps. Presently, I am working on a new DVD so watch this space. :)

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

since I read this ... I can't wait for it. Fantastic - it sounds very good to me! :D

I think you don't want to share some more information regarding your new DVD. Will be the content for Version 3.5 or higher? :p

cheers
Wolfgang

I think you don't want to share some more information regarding your new DVD. Will be the content for Version 3.5 or higher?
I'm working on a DVD for modeling/ texturing a character. Hopefully most of the stuff I've covered will work in 3.0+

Andrew

P.S. If you have any suggestions please let me know. :)

Hi Andrew,

nice ... I think I found my next video dvd! ;)

My suggestions are:

Modelling
a) It would be nice to explain how to model in low-poly and convert to high-poly in Cheetah3D
b) If you explain some features which are not so often in use
c) How to camfer edges correctly, I think this could be very interssingly for users. (Frank and me checked this out a little bit. Really cool is, that you can camfer areas/segments)
d) Now the hardest thing - I think - Hair! ;)

Texturing
d) Create textures in Cheetah and how to put it on the object - that means internal shaders (without 2D Apps)
e) Create different kinds of materials (wool, ice, chrome, water) - depends on model you like to texture
f) Multiple texture on face/skin (when this is makeable)

I know, this are very hard, but these are my suggestions :D
Do you know what kind of character you will modell? Comic, realistic human or an animal?

Now I think, you wish, I hadn't responded ... hehehehehe

cheers
Wolfgang

a) It would be nice to explain how to model in low-poly and convert to high-poly in Cheetah3D
The character in DVD 1 introduces low polygon model making but I discuss it again in the DVD I'm working on.
b) If you explain some features which are not so often in use
Excellent suggestion, there are so many tools in Cheetah some of them may not be obvious choices to users.
c) How to camfer edges correctly, I think this could be very interssingly for users. (Frank and me checked this out a little bit. Really cool is, that you can camfer areas/segments)
Um, rounded edges have been discussed quite a bit on the forum so if I do a tutorial covering it I'll put in on my website.
d) Now the hardest thing - I think - Hair!
You've read my mind. I'm working on hair at the moment and will post my results on the forum.
d) Create textures in Cheetah and how to put it on the object - that means internal shaders (without 2D Apps)
I did cover procedural textures in the first DVD so I'm focusing more on UV textures.
e) Create different kinds of materials (wool, ice, chrome, water) - depends on model you like to texture
I think this is another tutorial for my website, let me think about this one.
f) Multiple texture on face/skin (when this is makeable)
There are some work arounds for applying multiple textures to one face, mainly using UV coordinates.
Do you know what kind of character you will modell? Comic, realistic human or an animal?
I'm working on a cartoon character but I get asked alot about finishing off the face tutorial but I can't promise both will make it onto the next DVD.

There are so many cool things you can do with Cheetah, I love looking at he gallery at what people have produced. Unfortunately I can't spend the time I want working on Cheetah, so the tutorials I do are real labors of love.

Hi Guys,
It would be nice to have resources on the dvd. For instance if you were explaning a texture or a model you could put the finished tuxture on the dvd. Or you could put usefull links.

Greg

P.S. Do you ship to western USA?

Hi Guys,
It would be nice to have resources on the dvd. For instance if you were explaning a texture or a model you could put the finished tuxture on the dvd. Or you could put usefull links.

Greg

P.S. Do you ship to western USA?

I have shipped to the USA and there are resources (quicktime movies, textures and models) on the DVD.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

yes your right! Looks great!

I'm curious to the dvd... :-D

Hair:
I haven't seen somewhere around the net a comic model of a dromedary or camel! Could this be a good comic character - lots of hair! :mrgreen:

Perhaps it coud be usefull to bild the same character with pbp and with box techniques?

So, now I will wait for your dvd, I don't want to make you confused with my words! ;)

cheers
Wolfgang

I haven't seen somewhere around the net a comic model of a dromedary or camel! Could this be a good comic character - lots of hair!
That is more hair than I was thinking but an animal tutorial would be very good.

So, now I will wait for your dvd, I don't want to make you confused with my words!
I understand Wolfgang. ;)

Hi Andrew,

one more thing ... and really cool would be when the camel or whatever you choose as your character walking through the Sahara - just btw! hihihihihi

That's all for now! :D

cheers
Wolfgang

Hair test

Here's a test for hair, there's still a lot of work to do but it's coming along.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,271
I just got my discs, and the content is great, but the labels are separating from the discs in the drive. I suggest not using printable discs, since the rough printable surface does not provide good adhesion to the labels. Either that, or use a disc printer to print the labels. Not a criticism, just a comment.

Back