Vertex Weights

Vertex Weights

Hey all...

I'm working on my first modeling/rigging project and run into a bit of a stump on vertex weights. After binding my skeleton, I use the Vertex Weight tool to add and subtract weights on vertices, but I can't seem to remove influence on some. The attached image shows my model and rig. The large center square is the body where I want 100% influence, but the top left vertex of one of the legs is still being influenced. When I have subtract on it and click on the vertex it flashes yellow for a second then goes back to red. Am I missing something? Suggestions?

VertexWeights.jpg

Thanks,
Matt

9 years later...
I'm having the same trouble. Well almost the same.
I bind a skeleton to a mesh using 'Heat' method, then use the Vertex Weight tool in subtract some yellow areas. Then I transform (rotate) the bone and nothing has changed. Parts of the mesh that shouldn't be influenced still are.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Shift Studio.

edit: an interesting thing to note is that the Vertex Weight in 'Add' mode works as expected.
Also, I've tried with and without 'Auto-normalize'

edit 2: Same trouble with Auto-weight Binding method = Distance. Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
now I have experienced the vertex switching from yellow back to red after a vertex weight subtraction.
I guess that's due to 'Auto-normalize'... so, I think I've got the problem figured out - I think I need to do some subtraction on child joints first/as well.
Will report back.
--shift studio.

So, it turns out some child bones were influencing the same part of the mesh as the parent, that neither should have been influencing. Without vertex weighting the mesh for the child bones too, weighting the mesh for the parent had no effect.
It makes sense now. Hopefully this post will help someone someday.
--shift studio.

Back