Textures not saving on obj imported model

Textures not saving on obj imported model

Hi

I am new to Cheetah, and to rendering and modeling in general. I design buildings and I create models initially in an app called Viacad. I export the model as an .obj file, import it into Cheetah and save it as a .jas file. If I apply a texture to the model it appears fine, but on saving the model, closing and then opening it the texture is no longer applied to the model.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

When saving save as .Jas format as opposed to obj. If you need to save as obj, use the Tool>Script>Macro>OBJ+MTL export option to generate an mtl that will reference your textures.

HTH
AaronC

Welcome Graeme,

Where are your textures stored? I have found that if I store my textures on my NAS (Network Attached Storage), and then later open the jas file again, the textures aren't applied anymore. I have to copy them locally. This only happens, because my NAS puts itself to sleep after a time, so the textures aren't seen as available. Otherwise, please describe the process you're going through.

Robert

import it into Cheetah and save it as a .jas file. If I apply a texture to the model it appears fine, but on saving the model, closing and then opening it the texture is no longer applied to the model.

Hi Graeme and welcome in this forum,

If you do a "Save as" with the .jas file format selected, there is no reasons you can't get your textures back applied to your model other than Cheetah3D can't find them back. As a basic rule and to start with this, make sure your textures are in the same folder as your model. Then you can fool with various locations.

I'm really sorry guys, taking your advice I find that it is the materials that are not saving. I will open a material from the materials selection. I drag the material on the object in the model or via the object browser. However, when I save, close ad then open the file the material is still in the material browser but it is no longer on the model. The material does not show against the object in the object browser. This is regardless of whether I have loaded a texture - many apologies for misleading you with the wrong question.

Thanks for your help so far.

Graeme.

I find it still quite vague - still don´t get your workflow.
You said you save the file - in which format? Where/when do you apply the texture - ViaCAD or Cheetah3d?
BTW: which version of Cheetah3d and MacOS are you running?

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank

OSX 10.5.7, Cheetah 4.6.4. I open a new .jas file and import the .obj file. The .obj file was created by exporting it in Viacad. The model imports perfectly and I save it as a .jas file. I will then add materials to the model, either directly by dragging them on to objects or via the objects browser. I then close the model and when I open it the materials are no longer on the model nor are they attached to the objects in the objects browser. Its as if I hadn't added the materials to the model in the first place.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Cheers

Graeme

Hope this makes it clearer.
A bit :p

Say you drag an OBJ onto the Cheetah3d.app icon - it will instantly open it up.
Now you´re up applying materials (containing image files?). All shows up and will render fine. If you now close the file - which is still an OBJ (look at the title bar) and hit just save - it saves to OBJ -BUT it didn´t store any material information to it, because that should go to an MTL file - which won´t be generated automatically.

Is it this case?

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank

Did as you said and the OBJ file did not save the material. I used a standard 'Directional' material from the material browser. Do I have to save the materials in some way?

Cheers

Graeme

We´re getting closer.
Procedural shader will stay just in Cheetah3d´s native .jas file format and won´t be saved to OBJ/mtl unless you´re baking in the textures (that´s a whole different world compared to assigning materials via drag&drop.)
So what can you do? Well - the question is where you want to go with the OBJ?
I recommend to use just "material" from the material list - add an image to the color channel and use the "OBJ+MTL export.js" script from main menu: tools->Script->Macro Script.
Let´s see if this worx for you.

Cheers
Frank

Back