[newbie Q] snap / grid / raster?

[newbie Q] snap / grid / raster?

Sorry for this newbie question but I just cannot find how to switch on snap to grid/raster.

I've ploughed through the online help and the forum but I'm still lost.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom

Hi Tom (where have you been?) ;)

Try this and tell if it helps please:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• napping.png
    napping.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 258
Hi Frank,

Many thanks for your fast reply!

So now I've got the snap working for the transform tool but when I do Tools/Create Spline and start drawing my vertices don't snap to the grid. Can I get them to snap?

And for my conceptual understanding:
  • the C3D units that I'm working in, are they mm or inches? I mean with regard to import from Illustrator and export to Unity3D. Are there unit settings and if so, where do they live?
  • I'm looking to draw a path consisting of arcs and straight lines. Are there arc drawing tools in C3D or do I have to pick apart circles?

Tom

Spline points don´t snap while generating just afterwards when in editing mode (I know, I know. Go to the wish-list and find the thread)
Glad I just get this (old) video back running: Spline editing
You can adjust the import scale at preferences when going with AI SVGs. There exist some threads about it in this forum containing conversion parameters for imperial and metric units.
There´s a Ellipse.js spline script which lets you draw arcs in a precise way for instance.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Arc.jpeg
    Arc.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 252
Thank you, Frank.

I read the threads on the conversion factors when importing SVG from Illustrator. I still ended up with an error in the 3rd decimal place so I was hoping I could proportionally scale my imported 2D artwork and snap to grid.

Maybe I'm too fussy about this but it feels awkward to me when vertices that were accurately on the gird in Illustrator end up at {1.000, 0.501, 2.001}. If the conversion numbers had more than four decimal places at least I wouldn't see the inaccuracies in the UI :)

Yes, I've been there. I've used the 0.03535 for SVG conversion as I'm working in mm. It still gave me a slight inaccuracy in the third decimal place. As I'm lost on how this number is generated (it's not simply 25.4/72) I don't know how to improve it to eight decimal places.

Back