Mechanical Animation Series

Great and very informative animation!

Easy to follow in any language. I say this because I'm using Cheetah more and more for instructional illustrations to reduce the need to explain what to do. Your animation reduces the need to use words further, while broadening your audience reach across language barriers.

In the first animation the spirit level is used to level the sign holder as it is stuck to the wall. However, the elevator sign looks like it's stuck to the wall before the spirit level appears. Is this intentional?

Thanks for the input!

We are purposely leaving out most of the written language for that exact reason. There is English on one of the inserts as it's being utilized, but for the most part, there will not be any written instructions in the videos. We'll try to use symbols and icons in place where possible. There are detailed printed instructions that ship with the product though.

Yes I know the spirit level is a little clunky on the second one. Some of it comes down this being my first major project using the animation tools. Some of it comes from having to change the timing and position of a bunch of key frames back and forth without being able to use a dope sheet to match them up at the same time. I had to write down what frame marker different objects were located in the time line so I could adjust everything else to match. Not very easy at all. Then the last problem was having the spirit level hidden in most of the animation by the sign from the camera angle. So I had to make a compromise with regard to the timing and position of the level. I possibly could have panned the camera over and then back, but I'm trying to keep these down to around 30 seconds each.

If you have any suggestions on other ways to do it, I'm willing to hear.

Hi Swizl

You are way ahead of me on the animation front, so sorry, I don't have any animation tips. Watching your videos help me see what's possible with the products (meat processing machinery) I'm documenting at the moment. At some stage I'll give it a go.

The only thing I can think of is to use the spirit level to place a faint pencil line on the wall, then align and place the sign on the wall. But then it's back to more modeling and rebuilding the animation.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks again,

Some good ideas to think about.

I just had an idea to have to sign move up close to the wall, but not mount right on it until after the level is placed under it. The it will just have a final small push to the wall. That would be relatively easy and I wouldn't have to re-render the whole scene. Just the last second or two. It took about 12 hours to render the whole thing.

Good luck with the machines you are working on. It seems there aren't many people here on C3d that are doing this type of mechanical stuff. I'd be interested to see what you're modeling whenever you end up posting some of it. Unless you already have somewhere?

I think at some point I may try and make some animation tutorial videos, as there don't seem to be many of those either.

Hi Swizl

Here is the project I've been working on. I have since had to lay it all out using a custom paper size, but this draft is almost there. After printing on A3 paper at 300 dpi it is folded down to fit an A5 packing slip that is attached to the cardboard box. BTW, the client asked for a manual. He was happy to see that it could be simplified down to fit on one A3 sheet of paper and stuck to the side of the crate. Even though it's in English, the aim was to make it work as much as possible for those who don't speak English.

I used Omnigraffle to lay it out. I'm looking forward to Affinity Publisher when it comes out to do this sort of work.

Cheers

Chris

Attachments

• sequence.jpg
    sequence.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 681
Hey those look great! I like the way you did the detailed view. Thanks for sharing those. That's the kind of stuff I'll also be working on more often now. So it's good to see someone using C3d for something similar.

Smart idea to condense the info down. Not only will it save money and room, but the instructions will be easier to comprehend.

I ended up updating the second video. There were two spots I didn't like. There was a part where the header went side to side before being pressed on the mounting plate. I wanted to have it come back to center before pressing back. I also took your advice on having the spirit level be imposition before the sign mounts on the wall. I will have to replace the video in Vimeo when I get a chance. I've got the base models for the other animations now done, but haven't had time to start the new animations yet. I'll update them as I get them done.

Last edited:
Thanks Swizl

I look forward to seeing your updated video.

The 3D illustrations are starting to save costs for the client. It reduces the number of photos I need to take and the time it takes to tidy up the photos each time the product is altered. Quite often, I'm retaking a sequence of photos because something in the background has changed.

The illustrations are better for focusing attention and bringing clarity to what the reader needs to do. With a 3D model, I can put in just enough detail for the user to orient themselves around the product. In the model above, I've left out a lot of detail because the detail is irrelevant to the process of uncrating, e.g., doors and the attachments for services (power, water, etc).

It's a really nice way to work.

I'll have to try and update the revision tomorrow sometime hopefully. Been way too busy here today.

Those are the same reasons my boss like's the 3d stuff. You can make it uncluttered and no need to set up the studio with lights and camera mounts etc.

Ok, the updated video has been re-uploaded to Vimeo. I think the original link should take you there. Thanks!

Hi Swizl

It looks great! I really like the attention to detail of the components, e.g., the aluminium extrusion detail from the rear, and the spirit level. This time I paused the video a number of times to look at the detailing of the components.

I have a recommendation for the sequence of steps (See Steps 3 and 4):

1) Remove the protective film from the metal plate's double-sided tape.
2) Stick the metal plate to the rear of the panel.
3) Stick the decorative timber piece to the plate, then
4) Peel the blue protective film from the two strips of double-sided tape at the rear of the panel.
5) Position the assembled panel on the wall with the use of a spirit level.

At present, steps 3 and 4 are the other way around. That is, the two strips of sticky tape are exposed on the rear of the panel before the decorative timber panel is stuck to the front of the panel. It would be easier to place the panel on a table when sticking the decorative timber piece to the panel. With the tape on the rear already exposed, someone else would need to hold the panel while the decorative timber piece is being carefully positioned on the metal plate.

Alternatively:
3) Peel the blue protective film from the two strips of double-sided tape, then
4) Position the panel on the wall with the use of a spirit level.
5) Stick the decorative timber piece to the metal panel.

But that's more animating and rendering - Sorry! After many hours dedicated to modelling, animating and rendering, you probably want to move on to the next project by now.:smile:

Hi Swizl

It looks great! I really like the attention to detail of the components, e.g., the aluminium extrusion detail from the rear, and the spirit level. This time I paused the video a number of times to look at the detailing of the components.

I have a recommendation for the sequence of steps (See Steps 3 and 4):

3) Stick the decorative timber piece to the plate, then
4) Peel the blue protective film from the two strips of double-sided tape at the rear of the panel.
5) Position the assembled panel on the wall with the use of a spirit level.

At present, steps 3 and 4 are the other way around. That is, the two strips of sticky tape are exposed on the rear of the panel before the decorative timber panel is stuck to the front of the panel. It would be easier to place the panel on a table when sticking the decorative timber piece to the panel. With the tape on the rear already exposed, someone else would need to hold the panel while the decorative timber piece is being carefully positioned on the metal plate.

Alternatively:
3) Peel the blue protective film from the two strips of double-sided tape, then
4) Position the panel on the wall with the use of a spirit level.
5) Stick the decorative timber piece to the metal panel.

But that's more animating and rendering - Sorry! After many hours dedicated to modelling, animating and rendering, you probably want to move on to the next project by now.:smile:

Yes we thought about doing the first way, but then didn't want to 1.) add more time to the video 2.) have the sign rotating back and forth a bunch of times. We initially thought about having the parts laid out on a table, but that just would also add more time and complexity and ultimately wouldn't have helped with the purpose of the video. The second solution you had probably would have been a better sequence to use, but I'm moving on to the next animation soon. It definitely helps to try and sort out exactly what actions are going to be taken before starting the animation! I'll have to use this one as a lesson on preplanning. Again, thanks for the input! It helps to have some fresh eyes on a project.

:cool:

Back