Correct tool for dividing a mesh?

Correct tool for dividing a mesh?

Hello-

Still new to Cheetah3D and saw somewhere in the forum a mention of splitting a mesh using a tool.

I've got a model and am looking for an easy way to divide the model into 4 meshes-- by splitting along two axis. Rather than create new models for the four smaller pieces, is there a tool that will just split a mesh into two meshes along an axis?

I think I just need the name of the tool, and I can figure it out.

Thanks!

2 ways:
1. If you want to have 4 separate meshes select a quarter and call split. This will generate a copy of the selected polygons. You have to delete the selection from the original mesh - and repeat 2 times more.
2. You want the parts stay in the same object; select a quarter and call "disconnect".
Alternative you can copy&paste your object 3 times and delete a quarter of each.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Liza,

Are these to be 4 equal parts or irregular?

Can you post the file that you're working with?

Depending on the complexity of the model, there may be easier ways to do this.

The problem was, I'd select the what I wanted, and if I hit delete, the polygons would go away, as you'd expect. But if I hit Copy and then opened a new document and pasted, I'd get the entire mesh, not just the polygons selected.

Solution was to invert the selection, and then delete. After doing that, I could copy and paste into a new document with no problem.

Thanks for the help! (I think disconnect may have been part of the solution, as I did use that.)

Last edited:
The problem was, I'd select the what I wanted, and if I hit delete, the polygons would go away, as you'd expect. But if I hit Copy and then opened a new document and pasted, I'd get the entire mesh, not just the polygons selected.

Solution was to invert the selection, and then delete. After doing that, I could copy and paste into a new document with no problem.

Thanks for the help! (I think disconnect may have been part of the solution, as I did use that.)

If I can get the videos posted on CGCookie.com, I'll have a ring tool video tutorial that can help with that in the future, also.

Glad to hear you got what you needed.

Back