92 stone blocks question?

OK where to begin I have a stone wall construct project. I put in 91 materials(made up of two textures) hoping when I exported it as an .obj file each stone block assaigned it's own material it would import into the other software (Vue for example) with each stone block being a separate entity. No such luck. Well I'm at a standstill. Is there a way to do this?

Last edited:
Dear uncle808us

For vue you will have to name each tiff file differently ( ie you are going to have to create 91 one different tiff files ) and assign it to each stone block or you'll get just the two materials apearing in vue

Regards

Luke

Thank you both. Looks like I will have to re-think this. I thought that was the answer Luke. 91 .tiffs back to the drawing board.:redface:

Honestly I have no clue why one should use images for texturing this instead of benefit from procedural shaders Vue offers as well as Bryce - like in my example.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Cottage.jpg
    Cottage.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 346
procedural shaders

I agree for those who don't know already:
PROCEDURAL SHADERS are surfacing controls that create maps based on values entered by the user. Maps created by procedural shaders can be used on any surfacing parameter--diffuse color, specular reflection, luminosity, transparency, etc.--in just the same manner that bitmaps created outside the application can be used.

Procedural shaders are used to create both regular patterns (such as grids or checkerboards) and more random patterns (typically simulating wood grain, marble-type patterns or a cloudy diffusion.) Most procedural shaders create 3-D patterns. In other words, the pattern follows logically inside the volume just as wood grain carries inside a wooden object if the object is cut open. This avoids many of the difficulties attributable to mapping a bitmap around the surface of an irregular object.

Sorry for the question, but since I've had a lot of problems with texture mappings, I'm considering to follow another procedure.

So, are the procedural shaders importable to Cheetah 3d?

If I'm going to use shaders in Vue can I use them later in Cheetah?

Thanks

Thanks Frank,

I need some guidance here.
Can you tell me where I can start to do that?
Maybe, a tutorial out there? Just to speed it up.

Thanks,

Mmmh - Where to start?
I mean this is pretty straight forward.
Load your object into Vue - grab some shader and export to obj for instance. Tell Vue to export color and bumpmap along.
Load obj back into Cheetah, generate material and assign color.image to color channel and bump.image to Bump mapping - kill specular, drag to obj and hit render.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• VueTextures.jpeg
    VueTextures.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 246
Back