Render Help for a Cheetah Novice

Render Help for a Cheetah Novice

Hi all, my names Tyler and I've had Cheetah for about 7 months now. I got it to render cars from Nascar Racing 2003 Season, although I have also enjoyed doing some modeling myself. Now for my question. I have a render scene I've set up here
3553628.png

I'm having a lot of trouble setting up a scene and lighting the model so that it doesn't appear so blocky with lots of weird light spots. I think the model is relatively low poly, but I've seen people render it in other programs looking just fine. So what exactly can I do to fix this? Is it something I need to do to the model to smooth it out or is it a matter of messing with the lighting? I'm still learning so help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi Tyler,

I think if you play with the smooth shading (see here) or if necessary add a subdivision modifier (see here), your result will look a lot smoother...

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Filip

Last edited:
Because the model is imported it´s pretty much likely it has a wrong/low smooth angle or the geometry isn´t connected at all.
First try to increase the smooth angle, if this doesn´t have any effect call for the "optimize tool" to weld all loose vertices.

Cheers
Frank

PS: @ Filip. Any subdivision will affect the texturing.

Attachments

• SmoothAngle.jpeg
    SmoothAngle.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Worked like a charm Frank, thank you both. I think I'm going to be visiting these forums quite a bit more in the future.

Back