Noob finding this all too complicated... Please help.

Noob finding this all too complicated... Please help.

I'm new at this 3D stuff. I have a good handle on using 2D CAD software and thought the transition wouldn't be this difficult.

The tutorials I'm finding (and paid for...) don't seem to teach how to use the product. Beginners like me need a little more explanation as to what tools do what and why. It's like learning a new language on top of learning a new software.

Anyway, here's what I'm trying to do... trying to design a 3D model of an amplifier cabinet with rounded outside edges and hard inside edges. I can't find a simple way to round the edges where 3 meet in the corners. Or how to fillet an inside corner.

Here is a photoshopped early attempt. The panels are 2cm thick and I want the red edges rounded with 1cm radius. The blue circles need to be filleted. (well, that's what I call it in CAD...) The inside edges are hard right angles.

amp%20photoshopped.jpg

The closest I've got is using a sh*tload of different elements (boxes, capsules and cylinders) and as this got very complicated very early, I thought I'd try to use the symmetry thing. But which one? Neither seem to do anything. I'm missing something.

So... I made the bottom right quarter, thinking I could copy and paste it and invert/mirror it to make a half, then copy/paste to make a whole. But I can only copy and paste the whole group and don't know how to invert the copy. I know I'm going about this all wrong, but none of the tutorials I've seen have helped.

Here is a link to my last attempt before I just gave up...

http://muzza.net/images/6V6%20project/amp%205.jas

I really want to learn how to use this program as I can see a lot of uses in my job as an electrical trades teacher.

Please tell me its not that complicated... (but be prepared to prove it...)

Thanks in advance!

Here's a model for you to dissect, I used ring cuts, a Subdivision Modifier
to round the edges and Creases (Blue edges) to keep some corners sharp.
I also used two Symmetry Modifiers to show how those work,
I only had to work on one quarter of the model that way.

Another approach would be to make the pieces
separately, as you would if you built it from wood.

Let me know if you need more help, once you get a basic understanding of
the tools and how to navigate around, it will get much more interesting.
Lots of good tutorials around for all levels by the way.

Attachments

• AmpDesign.zip
    27.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Amp Design.jpg
    Amp Design.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 382
That is bloody beautiful. :cool: Thank you. (I'll bet it took you only a few minutes?)

I don't understand the things you said you've done, but I'll have a look at your file when I get home from work and see if there are any tutorials on them. Otherwise, I'm going to have to ask someone to talk me through it.

Again, thanks heaps!:icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup:

(Just out of curiosity, would you consider the above a difficult 3D project? From an outsiders (beginners) perspective, I would have THOUGHT it would be easy, but I'm not familiar with the tools and processes you used.)

Last edited:
Nah. I've pulled it to bits and put it back together again, but have no clue where to start to produce something like this.

Could I bother you to talk me through it? Make it a bit of a tutorial???

Please.

That is bloody beautiful. :cool: Thank you. (I'll bet it took you only a few minutes?)

I don't understand the things you said you've done, but I'll have a look at your file when I get home from work and see if there are any tutorials on them. Otherwise, I'm going to have to ask someone to talk me through it.

Again, thanks heaps!:icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup:

(Just out of curiosity, would you consider the above a difficult 3D project? From an outsiders (beginners) perspective, I would have THOUGHT it would be easy, but I'm not familiar with the tools and processes you used.)

The difficult part is the rounded edges, building the form is very easy.

Booleans might work as well if you don't mind the triangulated mesh.

Attachments

• ADBoolean.gif
    ADBoolean.gif
    238.3 KB · Views: 359
  • ADBoolean.jpg
    ADBoolean.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 355
* You need a box.
* Select box from the poly menue.
* Make editable (= double-click) to modify the topology.
* Remove rear wall = select + delete key.
* Remove front bits = select + delete key.
* Add thickness = shell modifier.
* Make editable (= double-click) to modify the topology.
* You have now completed the basic mesh of the amplifier.

* Bevelling of edges:
* There a re a few alternatives. I choose the most simple one,
* assign creases (edges to remain sharp),
* apply subdiv modifier.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 15.38.58.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 15.38.58.png
    315.7 KB · Views: 357
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 15.39.13.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 15.39.13.png
    199.4 KB · Views: 353
A second low value subdiv-modifer after the shell-modifier will help to smooth the edges:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• AmpHousingBase.png
    AmpHousingBase.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 348
  • AmpHousing.jpeg
    AmpHousing.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 353
Screen Recordings

Thanks again Frank for the YouTube tutorial. I recommend using the QuickTime screen recording tool to anyone learning the modeling tools especially, to keep track of the sequence of steps and settings for future reference. For personal use, I include a sound track/voiceover to better explain what's happening onscreen.

It's an excellent learning tool, and C3D beginners can use all the help they can get.

Well I own Screenflow and Camtasia - but I did´t want to ruin a simple tut with my voice. Using menu entries should help though. :p :p

Cheers
Frank

Back