Exporting FBX & 3DS and Smoothing, rendering problems...

Exporting FBX & 3DS and Smoothing, rendering problems...

I've got a SketchUp Sandbox mesh and I want to render it in C3D, attaching a glass texture.

When I export the mesh via FBX, I get a facetted model in Cheetah.

3DS export seems OK, but when I render, I get the following result:

You can see the original geometry of the mesh, and I don't know where the 'noise' comes from...I'm really up against it here, time-wise...

Attachments

• Rendering-import problem.jpg
    Rendering-import problem.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 394
Hmmm -- I just tried applying smoothing to the mesh before I exported -- but got the same noise (although the geometry now looks smooth).

Attachments

• Rendering-import problem-2.jpg
    Rendering-import problem-2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 387
Here's the .jas if anyone wants to have a look:

Attachments

• RenderTest.jas.zip
    48.4 KB · Views: 350
Andrew --

I'd be the first to agree -- it looks like depth fighting -- but look at the screenshot: only one piece of geometry in the scene.

Attachments

• Picture 25.jpg
    Picture 25.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 379
And importing the exact same .3ds file into Cinema4D, it renders perfectly...

But I don't want to have to use Cinema...!

Attachments

• Picture 27.jpg
    Picture 27.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 376
What happens? Depends which poly you select.

Some appear to be doubled up, some not. The thing is, in the original file, there is no duplicate geometry. When it comes into Cheetah, there is...

TimD said:
What happens? Depends which poly you select.

Some appear to be doubled up, some not. The thing is, in the original file, there is no duplicate geometry. When it comes into Cheetah, there is...
I agree, maybe Martin needs to see the file?

Hah! We keep cross-posting...

Anyway, here's the .3ds and the .FBX And the original .skp

Attachments

• Umbrella_Tryout_2.3ds.zip
    33.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Umbrella_Tryout_2.fbx.zip
    219.7 KB · Views: 285
  • Umbrella-Tryout.skp.zip
    92.3 KB · Views: 295
Um, I dont use Sketchup but it looks like there are 3 textures applied to the model would it make a difference if there was only one texture? As for the file the post, yeh they're all screwed up.

Hi Tim,
I've checked out your files and it is depth fighting. Every single triangle has a exact duplicate. As Andrew already said you can select one triangle. Delete it and you will see there is a second layer below. You can do the same in C4D too. I've just tried it. Please avoid such duplicate faces.

That FBX files could appear faceted is caused by the fact the SketchUp doesn't export connected meshes (meshes which share vertices). My .3ds loader does automatically reconnect the mesh so the .3ds files appears smooth. But that is actually a hack and I don't want to hack my .FBX loader too.

Bye,
Martin

So where are they coming from, these duplicate triangles?

There aren't any in the original SketchUp file...

Hi,
I guess the exporter in SketchUP produces them. They are definitely in the .3ds and .fbx files.

Maybe it is caused by the fact that the mesh has two materials. Since you can only assign one material per polygon in .3ds or .fbx files SketchUP might duplicate the geometry.

Bye,
Martin

I tried exportinng with only one material -- I had the same result.

I can't even remove the extra polygons by hand -- if I select a row of polys and hit delete I get really erratic results -- some polys disappear completely, others reveal a poly beneath...

Attachments

• Picture 28.jpg
    Picture 28.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 280
Hi,
does SketchUP has a "double faces", "two sided faces" or something similar property in the .3ds or .fbx exporter preferences. Some apps have this. If it has such a property disable it.

Bye,
Martin

Back