Please explain how to use UV map PDF.

Please explain how to use UV map PDF.

...just like in the topic. What can i do with UV pdf from Cheetah. How can i reuse it after changing it in PS. A simple tutorial how to export uv pdf, edit it and reuse it in Cheetah would be nice.

Thanx

A PDF export of a UV map is basically just a template to help you create a bitmap texture - it shows you which bits of your texture will be mapped to which polygons on your model.

To use it try the following...
1) create your UV map in Cheetah3D, then export as a PDF.
2) Open the PDF in photoshop - you can choose the size (eg 512x512 pixels) during the parsing process. The image of your UV map should appear on a transparent background.
3) You want to use this UV image as a guide for your texture, so make a new layer and move it below your UV layer.
4) Paint your texture on the new layer, using the UV layer to help get things in the right place.
5) Turn off (or delete) the UV layer before saving your texture as a JPEG.
6) Back in Cheetah, make a new material for your object, and set the material's texture to be your JPEG file.
7) Apply your material to your object, et voilà!

(this is from memory, so I hope I haven't missed anything...)

A PDF export of a UV map is basically just a template to help you create a bitmap texture - it shows you which bits of your texture will be mapped to which polygons on your model.

To use it try the following...
1) create your UV map in Cheetah3D, then export as a PDF.
2) Open the PDF in photoshop - you can choose the size (eg 512x512 pixels) during the parsing process. The image of your UV map should appear on a transparent background.
3) You want to use this UV image as a guide for your texture, so make a new layer and move it below your UV layer.
4) Paint your texture on the new layer, using the UV layer to help get things in the right place.
5) Turn off (or delete) the UV layer before saving your texture as a JPEG.
6) Back in Cheetah, make a new material for your object, and set the material's texture to be your JPEG file.
7) Apply your material to your object, et voilà!

(this is from memory, so I hope I haven't missed anything...)

Thanx for a quick reply. Now everything seems 2 b obvious (not like last night) ;) Another problem is UV unwrapping... (quick question, how can i get rid of the toggled seams?).

Thanx for a quick reply. Now everything seems 2 b obvious (not like last night) ;) Another problem is UV unwrapping... (quick question, how can i get rid of the toggled seams?).

If its specific seams, just select them and righthand mouse click and from selections choose toggle seams (toggle seams basically is the on/off switch for seams). In the UV editor you can select all seams and toggle them (just righthand mouse click). This is off the top of my head again so don't quote me.

Andrew

Thanx again,

that was easy :) but some things in Cheetah could be explained better ;)

Regards

Glad to help and fair comment but UV mapping is a tough concept full stop and personally I think Martin has done a good job implementing it but like everything else there's always room to improve.

Andrew

Others have also had trouble grasping the meaning of 'toggle'... but I don't know a better word for it. Each edge is either flagged as a seam or it isn't, and toggling simply flips it back and forth between these two states.

I posted a script somewhere with utilities for creases and seams. Someone less sleep-deprived than me can find you the link :)

Back