Arched windows

Arched windows

I'm still pootling around with the basics of Cheetah3D, in awe of the kind of images I'm seeing here so I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as to the current best practice for creating arched windows/doorways openings in a surface.

Before Cheetah3D, my last experience of CGI was with Povray (under DOS!) so I know it can be done using Constructive Solid Geometry (is that the same as Cheetah's Booleans?) but is there another way now that subdivision of boxes seems to be the prevailing way to create complex objects?

Cheers.

Chris_B

Hi.
I would start with a disc with 16 corners or more:

With kindest regards
Frank

Edit: Gif will play forever.;)

Attachments

• Arche.gif
    Arche.gif
    128.4 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
I'm still pootling around with the basics of Cheetah3D, in awe of the kind of images I'm seeing here so I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as to the current best practice for creating arched windows/doorways openings in a surface.

Obviously Frank has shown you how but have you considered Sketchup for that kind of modeling? It's more Architectural and there is a .obj plugin that will allow you to use the free version of SU and export .obj to load into Cheetah. That's what I do for Architectural elements.

This was really great, especially when I found out that preview made separate pictures of the gif animation. I haven`t found an easy way to model arcs before, but this looks great.:icon_thumbup: Thanks Frank.:smile:

Thanks Frank. I'll have a play. Other than Boolean, I was also looking at using a Catmull-Clark subdivide (twice) to cut a circle out of an object, then trying to move points by hand, but it was proving too hard to get things lined up. Your method looks a lot easier :smile:

Hi.
This is a combination of covering and somehow scaling the outer edge.
(Mmmh maybe I should redo this.)

Here´s one clearer: this time for windows and not doorways;)

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• ArchedWindow.gif
    ArchedWindow.gif
    131.8 KB · Views: 225
First up, Frank, this new animated GIF tutorial idea is a work of sheer brilliance/ genius!! 5-stars to you! :cool:

Secondly, this arch (see attachment) was created in the $20 software 'Mr Architect' and imported into C3D. I bought Mr Architect a while back, so that I could make models really quickly. It can be a bit of a life saver- especially for staircases, when there isn't time to work out how to do it in Cheetah.

http://arcobaleno2001.interfree.it/index.htm

Imported into C3D as a dxf (with a lot of flipped normals) and then exported from C3D as a jas file :)

(two files are here :) )

Attachments

• Arch 1.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 251
  • arch.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 244
Frank, that way looks even easier, not to mention more convenient if you're subdividing polygons in an existing structure. Thanks again.

First up, Frank, this new animated GIF tutorial idea is a work of sheer brilliance/ genius!! 5-stars to you! :cool:
Thanks for your kind words
Secondly, this arch (see attachment) was created in the $20 software 'Mr Architect' and imported into C3D. I bought Mr Architect a while back, so that I could make models really quickly. It can be a bit of a life saver- especially for staircases, when there isn't time to work out how to do it in Cheetah.
I know this app quite well, but the output frightens me - especially when it comes to UV mapping, because no edge loops were available. :redface:
Building that kind of arch is really easy and you can use your dxf mesh as a blueprint. When it comes to stairs you might have a look here: http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showpost.php?p=19269&postcount=2

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• CorbelArch.gif
    CorbelArch.gif
    122.9 KB · Views: 194
Back