Motion Blur Tool

Motion Blur Tool

Since Martin was kind enough to add arbitrary framerate support to Cheetah 3d 4.6, here's a tool for creating motion blurred still images.

http://loewald.com/motionblur/

The first image used a 1s animation rendered at 120fps, the second used a 1s animation rendered at 60fps. In both cases 0.25s of animation was sampled to produce the image shown. The tool is *highly* configurable (as you can see from the screenshot).

Note that if you need to motion-blur alpha channels the program won't do it (yet? ;-) ) -- but if you can export the alpha channels as a separate video, then you may be able to produce pretty decent results.

Attachments

• bounce.jpg
    bounce.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 508
  • ball_blur.jpg
    ball_blur.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 492
  • mbu_screenshot.jpg
    mbu_screenshot.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 485
  • weasel draw blur 0.25s.jpg
    weasel draw blur 0.25s.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 503
  • weasel_blur_0.1s.png
    weasel_blur_0.1s.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Hi,
that is a nice tool. It was fun to play around with it.:smile:

Do you have plans to enhance it for movie export? It would be interesting to compare movies with and witout motion blur.

Bye,
Martin

It would be fairly easy to do movie export, but rendering the movies would be a pain (both on the C3D side and the Motion Blur Tool side).

If I get bored one night between baby feedings I'll give it a whirl :)

I might note that there are some errors in the weighting algorithm that I've not nailed down yet ... and it doesn't help that the preview render and the high quality render are substantially different pipelines. (Basically the "preview" was my first stab at it and it produced rounding errors -- i.e. banding in colors; the high quality option takes the images and accumulates everything into double precision "buffers" (actually, just variables, since I process each pixel individually).

It's written in RealBasic so the low level image processing is idiotically inefficient. If I wrote it in C it would be much quicker (and if I wrote it in Objective-C using Core Image, faster still). But it wouldn't be finished yet...

Last edited:
Hi,
for accululation buffers you normally always need double. That RB is that slow for the double conversion also surprised me.

Nevertheless I think it would be a helpful tool if your app would support movie export. Even although RB is not very fast for that task.

Bye,
Martin

Back