Reset a skeleton in T-Pose?

Reset a skeleton in T-Pose?

Would be very nice to have a function that stays in the bar that allows you to push it and set the skeleton in T-Pose.

Obviously the problem is to keep the correct rotation for the arms (90 degree) and legs (180); so probably the function should take a look at the name of the bone and figure out if is a leg or an arm or something else (naming convention...i wish :) )

Different case for quadrupeds; in that case i think that it gets much harder to figure out which bone is what (maybe something like a guided procedure putting control points to figure out where each joint is?).

Hope that the request makes sense, thanks!!

This is pretty much what my pose utilities script does -- http://loewald.com/c3dstuff

Hey Podperson

Probably my animation was messed up; when i tried the script it made what you see attached to the message (applied the reset pose to the root bone, that is the hips)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 10.41.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at 10.41.30 AM.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,589
Hmm. I wonder how your skeleton looked before... In essence, if your skeleton is built the "usual" way, the bones will be at zero rotation in rest pose. If, on the other hand, you built each bone in one direction and then rotated it into position you could end up something like what you've got there. But your skeleton would have other issues (such as weird axes of rotation for each joint).

The skeleton is the same of the example that i have added to the other thread (the one where i was working on the fbx animation that was adding to an existing mesh); it was basically standing.

Guess that the script will work correctly only if there is a skeleton done in the right way :)

I tried your files and got the same result. Upon inspecting the skeleton it is indeed horribly set up.

My guess is that the mocap people start with a completely arbitrary rig (probably each joint at 0,0,0) and simply rotate and place the joints to match the mocap data (after all, they may be capturing data from someone with long legs one day and short legs the next). It may even be easier for them to debug their process because of the way their rig is set up, but it makes life much harder for someone trying to work with the rig (e.g. animators typically set up rigs so that the x-axis of each joint is the main axis of rotation)

Thanks for the explanation :) I have a very limited understanding of how the whole mocap thing works :)

All that I know is that someone wears sensor, that are recorded by a camera that translate the sensor position in space in xyz coordinates...now how do they get the skeleton from that is something that I have no clue about :)

Consider that the files that i have are raw BVH files that were discarded by a company and sold for a nominal price (got them years ago; don't even know if the company still exist); and I have loaded in Blender and exported in FBX so I can use them with Cheetah3d.

I can give a try with the other mocap material that i have purchased from Truebones; maybe their files are cleaner and I can just use their animations instead than converting these BVH files and going crazy to rig a mesh on top of them :)

In that case probably your script should be able to reset in Tpose easily...will give a try tonight and let you know.

At this point you should ask Martin to add your script as tool, so i can just add it to the toolbar instead then calling the script menu all the times :D

I had released the improved 'Pose Utility.js', it can deal with that kind of skeleton.

Maya create this kind of skeleton by default, they store the pre-rot and post-rot somewhere, Blender can deal with this kind of skeleton correctly, but C3D will merge them to local rotations, thus lose these informations. If you reset all rotations in C3D, the skeleton looks very strange.

The improved script can make new bind pose base on the original pose, i.e. reset all rotations while remain all positions.

I have converted many this kind of skeletons to C3D successfully with the improved script, cheers.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the latest script doesn't seem to work with the model I'm working with (even though this is one that Unity interprets as "Humanoid" just fine, if that matters).

I'm not sure which option is supposed to mean "reset pose," but "Zero Rotations" bends my poor character in half, and "Reset Axis" scrambles her horribly.

But I wonder if I'm not using it correctly, or if I have to rename the bones first or something. Can you explain how this script should be used to restore a model to the T-pose?

ALSO: I went through and painstakingly reset all the bones, by hand, to sensible positions (which was 0,0,0 for most of them, but other angles — typically some multiple of 90 on some axis — for a few). Then I saved the file out in FBX format, and when I reloaded it, all my un-posing was undone — my character was back to standing with her hands on her hips again.

Can anyone explain why this would be? I suspect it has to do with animations stored in the file. How would I go about clearing out all these animations, which I no longer want? And when I do that, is it possible the character will revert to the original T pose automatically?

Back