Modeling a Car Rim and a Tire

Modeling a Car Rim and a Tire

Does anyone know where i can find a good step by step tutorial on how to build a car tire and rim. Ive searched but could find one. The tire and rim need to be separate objects. I am new to Cheetah3d so the tutorial should be fairly detailed so I can follow it.

I found one for Blender here
http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/how-to-make-a-car-wheel/ and tried to apply similar process but the concept doesn't seem to translate to Cheetah.

Ive seen some great work being done in Cheetah 3D and would love to learn the ins and outs. This tire/rim project would be perfect.

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know where i can find a good step by step tutorial on how to build a car tire and rim. Ive searched but could find one. The tire and rim need to be separate objects. I am new to Cheetah3d so the tutorial should be fairly detailed so I can follow it.

I found one for Blender here
http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/how-to-make-a-car-wheel/ and tried to apply similar process but the concept doesn't seem to translate to Cheetah.

Ive seen some great work being done in Cheetah 3D and would love to learn the ins and outs. This tire/rim project would be perfect.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry I missed this post, I hope this helps. Build a Wheel

When I get home I will post how to do the tire and tread (sans sidewall writing) - the way I have done it, fully modeled.

1. Model a unit part of a repeating tread pattern, the bead and sidewall on slim box - in other words on the "flat".
2. Use the array modifier to extend the faltened tread for the length of the tire's circumference.
4. Use the bend/wrap modifier to get the "flat" tire into a curve that follows a radial section you desire.
5. Use the wrap modifier to create the circular shape of the tire.

I have not worked out how to do the sidewal yet - maybe a texture rather than modeled.

Last edited:
When I get home I will post how to do the tire and tread (sans sidewall writing) - the way I have done it, fully modeled.

1. Model a unit part of a repeating tread pattern, the bead and sidewall on slim box - in other words on the "flat".
2. Use the array modifier to extend the faltened tread for the length of the tire's circumference.
4. Use the bend/wrap modifier to get the "flat" tire into a curve that follows a radial section you desire.
5. Use the wrap modifier to create the circular shape of the tire.

I have not worked out how to do the sidewal yet - maybe a texture rather than modeled.

Sorry - A combination of symmetry, bend and ring! See attached - hope it is understandable

Attachments

• TyreUpload.jas.zip
    703.2 KB · Views: 596
  • Stylish wheel.png
    Stylish wheel.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
Starting point.

I have just realised I used an array in this starting point!! I think the thing to do is "just" experiment - you will find Cheetah so much more intuitive/"easy to use"/"well set out"/understandable, for us newbies, than Blender!!

Attachments

• Tyre Start2.jas.zip
    52.4 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:
Back