• Intel Core Duo

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Intel Core 2 Duo

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • Intel Nehalem

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Isn´t the 13,3" screen a bit too small? 15" Macbook Pro is too expensive for me.
Margus

I don't think the difference between 1440x900 and 1280x800 is particularly significant, and the weight and price difference are. I have a Macbook Pro simply because at the time I bought it Macbooks had GMA950s. Today with them having the 9400m there is no way I'd pay the extra $500-1000 for the larger, heavier machine.

If you need a bigger screen then most of the time you can plug it into a desktop monitor. The rest of the time you're enjoying not having to carry as much.

If Apple releases Core i7 (Nehalem) based Macbook Pros, well ... that's another story again (that's 4 cores and 8 virtual cores).

I don't think the difference between 1440x900 and 1280x800 is particularly significant, and the weight and price difference are. I have a Macbook Pro simply because at the time I bought it Macbooks had GMA950s. Today with them having the 9400m there is no way I'd pay the extra $500-1000 for the larger, heavier machine...
You're perfectly right Pod. :D

I had a MacBookPro 15" before (a CoreDuo...) and i own now a MacBook Alu 13" and i must say that this machine is just the perfect laptop ! :cool:
In fact, it is for me the perfect descendant of the PowerBook 12" which had never been really replaced. :icon_thumbup:
And i know what i'm talking about as i've had 5 different PowerBook 12" ! ;)

The 9400m inside is already more than a descent solution for 3D apps (at least Cheetah and Blender run perfectly on it :) ) and the smaller footprint as well as the lighter weight are more than welcome.

As you can see, i quite love this machine ! ;)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

i think both 13.3 and 15.4 are now very good for all the reasons Podperson has pointed out... when i bought my mbp in october 2008 i remember i had the same doubts but, considering (almost) the same hardware configuration then I saw that my (almost entry-level) mbp 2.4Ghz 4Gb 250Gb@7200rpm was less than 300€ more than, say, Tartiflette's mb (wich is +/- the one i would have choosen)
don't know if 1440x900 is that better than 1280x800 (for me it is, i would have like a 1650 or 1920 but 17" was still the old one at that moment) nor if i'm going to use the 9600gt that much... but i'm still convinced my 15.4 was worth the price because i needed an "all-in-one" solution (no external monitor).

that sayd, i think 13.3alu is good enough for almost everything you can do with 15.4pro and a huge improvement of the non-pro line (don't even know if pro/non-pro is still a thing that makes sense...)... and if you need a larger desktop space the bargain is a half 24" led cinema :wink:

cheers,
Alessandro

P.S.: MB alu 13.3 hasn't any FireWire (the old white/black one had one 400), wich isn't good for everyone who wants to record from an handycam... or whatever

Thanks for the info. Actually now, after a small research, I seriously think about buying a Macbook. I didnt know, that i can use windows on it too, if needed. Even games are playable(GTA IV runs with vista too!!). I remember that on old G4 and G5 macs Windows runs very slowly. It is great, that Apple has understood, that Windows is not so bad at all.
thanks guys!;)
best wishes
Margus

Hi Margus!
don't like Vista very much, even in pc hardware... when i bought the mbp i made some "virtualizing" test with different OS, using VirtualBox as said: i remember XPpro was faster is startup and common operations, don't know exactly why but i had the feeling that vista didn't like very much being "virtualized" while xp behave like in my "physical" machines (oh my poor english...:redface: )
same things with fedora (9 and 10) and opensuse (11) (the first works well), but they're slightly different being fedora "cleaner" (IMHO)

less resources for OS => more power for apps :smile:

as always the best thing is try by yourself, the only thing i can suggest is: get 4Gb of ram if you think to use virtual machines :wink:

Cheers,
Alessandro

Isn´t the 13,3" screen a bit too small? 15" Macbook Pro is too expensive for me.
Margus

It is all in what you want to carry. My previous windows laptop was a Dell with a 1600 x 1200 screen. I called it "semi portable". If you had a semi, it was portable. You might find that it is nice to have room for books and computer in the same backpack. No need for a trailer.

Like Tonio says, take advantage of the small size, and plug in a larger monitor if you need at home. It takes advantage of two monitors both in Mac and Windows.

Bill in MN

Incidentally, I absolutely love Apple and would *never* buy an Apple display (unless it was with someone else's money). I'm currently sitting in front of twin 22" displays which I bought for under $250 each two years ago. Currently I can buy a 24" Samsung display with HDMI inputs (i.e. it functions as an HDTV as well as a digital 1920x1280 display) at Costco for $280. In general you can buy non-Apple displays as good as anything from Apple for less than half the price.

So yes, get a Macbook over a Macbook Pro and spend the money you save on a 24" display that isn't from Apple ;-)

Margus

Hi Margus,
don't know where you're from but i've seen the new mb pros in the italian apple store... with a considerable reduction compared to previous mbooks (about -300€ on a machine similar to my mbp...)

Cheers,
Alessandro

Yeah, I´m looking forward to see the new prices in Estonia. May take 2-3 weeks before these new Macbooks reach here. I´m so happy that i didnt buy one of the old Macbooks. Now i get much more power with less money. Also the 7-hour battery sounds incredible.:D
Margus

Also the 7-hour battery sounds incredible.:D
Margus

not sure but i think it's integrated in the mbook... fantastic but when it's gone, it's gone and mb become a 15" imac (they say lifetime is improved but, you know, it's a new product and no one really knows...)

With native 64-bit processing, OS X Snow Leopard should help, also. Can't wait...

yeah but for that we must wait a little more (i think sept here in Italy...)

now i hope to see remarcable discounts on mac pros too... i'd like to buy one of them in the next 2 years :cool:

cheers,
Alessandro

Last edited:
The 7h batteries have been very well received on the 17" MBP. And you can replace the battery for about the same price as a normal MBP battery (~$130).

It's not that different from an iPhone or iPod, and in general their batteries do pretty well (my iPod 3G is still going strong after four years). My wife swears by her Macbook Air ("best battery life of any laptop I've ever owned").

not sure but i think it's integrated in the mbook... fantastic but when it's gone, it's gone and mb become a 15" imac (they say lifetime is improved but, you know, it's a new product and no one really knows...)
It is simply not possible. Apple has stated that new batteries last for 1000 reload cycles, then should be replaced. Nonreplaceable batteries would be the dummest thing ever on a laptop. It´s not an issue with iPod. I have a 6th gen classic. I have heavily used it for 1,5 years and battery lasts still very long.
Margus.

sorry guys... :redface:

it's clear i had wrong info about that (sayd "i think")... so only good news from mother-apple:icon_thumbup:

...and thanks for the correction!

cheers,
Alessandro

Hi,
a big thank you to all who gave their vote.:smile:

The result was very informative for me. While I expected many Core 2 Duos I'm surprised how many G4s are still out there.

Bye,
Martin

http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3580&p=4

Either way, Apple's 7 hour claim is well within reason. For light workloads, even on WiFi, you can easily expect 6.5 - 8 hours out of the new 15-inch MBP. As I write this article on that very system I'm told that I have nearly 8.5 hours left on my charge. If you do a lot of writing on your notebook, the new MBP is exactly what you'll want; it will easily last you on a cross-country flight if you need to get work done.

Anandtech reviews Macbook Pro battery life -- they can't believe how good it is. 6.5h real world use, more than 2x what they got from the preceding model.

Last edited:
Back