Questions from a new user

Questions from a new user

Hello Cheetah, I'm an old 3ds Max users from the late 90's but I have been tinkering with some 3D for the web (three.js) and Cheetah looks great.

I have some questions after my first day of messing around. Hope you folks can help.

1. Is it possible to see the diffuse texture in the UV editor window?

2. Is it possible to snap plainer UV mapper to be aligned with the surface of a polygon?

3. Is there such a thing as smoothing groups? Can I specify whether an edge should be smooth or not?

4. I can't work out how to switch between the different UV sets. I would like to have one for diffuse and one for a baked Ambient Occlusion.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome!
1. Hit the "Edit" button at the image loader.
2. No snapping with the UV mapper tool - BUT you can snap the the points to raster in the UV editor window - not quite sure what you´re after here. Maybe check out a short video about the UV mapper tool here: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10981
3. Check out "Normal break" as the smooth property in conjunction with creased edges please.
4. You can bake a second UV set as UV2 with the Bake Texture tool (when a game engine capable of handling 2 UV sets is your goal). To switch between UV1 and UV2 look at Tangent space at the material properties.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• 146-Resized@1x.png
    146-Resized@1x.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Thanks Frank!

Sometimes its just a case of knowing what terminology to look for.

The reason I would like to align the UV mapper to a poly is so that I can apply a texture without any distortion. (non uniform scaling)

If the video you linked for example, for most of the walls on the build the box tool was aligned, but for that wall that was about 45 degrees, the box tool creates a stretched area. You would have to rotate the box 45 degrees as well.

It would be nice if you could snap it to that angle exactly. Its just a workflow I'm use to is all.

hey also, if I were going to implement this feature, I would add a little button just under Center Projection but before Write UV Coords, that said Align Projection which would attempt to align the progection to the current selection set.

Image Loader?

Hey all, I'm back trying to learn some Cheetah3d this week.

Last time I asked how to get the texture showing in the background of the uv editor and Frank pointed me towards the Image Loader.

At the time I quickly loaded an image into the back of a camera viewpoint and just assumed I knew how now, but I just cannot find the image loader for the UV viewport!

Where do I find the image loader for the UV editor background?

Ahh, Thanks again Frank,

You know now that you say it I did know that!

Thats what happens when you take a 2 week break from learning something new!

Back