UV Packing? ABF_LSCM_Baked?

UV Packing? ABF_LSCM_Baked?

I started a new thread so search for Packing would have this thread.
Why does ABF or LSCM do the packing so weirdly?
As compared to Baking coords?
I know it has something to do with angles.
To quote Frank from a different thread from a "Packing search":
http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8659&highlight=Packing
Well - while the LCSM algorithm which does the unwrapping just tries to maintain angles
But I tried different UV unwrap angles in the camera view, but there was no change in the ABF packing. So I don't understand what Frank's quote means.
Any way I am curious about the unpacking differences.
Thanks

Attachments

• Packing.jpg
    Packing.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 342
But I tried different UV unwrap angles in the camera view, but there was no change in the ABF packing. So I don't understand what Frank's quote means[/QUOTE]
You have just 90° angles in your mesh - I really don´t understand what you´re expecting. The packing has nothing to do with the unwrapping algorithm.

Cheers
Frank

But I tried different UV unwrap angles in the camera view, but there was no change in the ABF packing. So I don't understand what Frank's quote means
You have just 90° angles in your mesh - I really don´t understand what you´re expecting. The packing has nothing to do with the unwrapping algorithm.

Cheers
Frank[/QUOTE]

Why then does the bake coords not have anything angled as in the ABF_LSCM? as per my image?

Y
Why then does the bake coords not have anything angled as in the ABF_LSCM? as per my image?
We´re talking about different things; I meant angles in the mesh (organic models) and not angled UV islands. Just Martin knows why some of these are inconveniently placed.

Cheers
Frank

Well - the mesh is different from the one you started with. In essence you´re saying you expect the same packing with automatic seams and Baking UV ccords at the Baking Texture tool. The seams are identical.
I guess the Texture Baker packer is newer then the other maybe. (I never use automatic seams BTW - to many islands to maintain.)

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
It's all good.

Well - the mesh is different from the one you started with. In essence you´re saying you expect the same packing with automatic seams and Baking UV ccords at the Baking Texture tool. The seams are identical.
I guess the Texture Baker packer is newer then the other maybe. (I never use automatic seams BTW - to many islands the maintain.)

Cheers
Frank
Yes I did not save that file. started over.
I'm only saying it would be nice if the AFB unpacked as neatly as the Bake Texture tool.
I was just curious as to why the ABF_LSCM wasn't as neatly unpacked.
I only use auto seams sometimes as a starting place. To give me an idea for my islands.

Back