Cheetah Licensing

Podperson,
interesting that.

Surprises me a little, as with the AutoCad license we have we can use the 1 piece of software on 2 machines as long as they are not used concurrently (Home use license, totally legitimate for a business to have one of these).

I think the best thing for me to do to be fair to Martin will be to purchase for the MacBook, downlaod the demo on the iMac for my son to learn it on and if he really gets in to it and it is worth us utilising him as a business resource buy another licence for the iMac.

From my point of view I'd rather help support the Cheetah team knowing that I can get the support from them when needed. It's mutually beneficial.

Thanks,

Chris

This is a very similar situation to the one I found myself in a couple of years ago. I just bit the bullet and bought a second license for my son. It's the best $99 you will ever spend. Cheetah is ridiculously good value for money. Martin could charge a good deal more, and it would still be worth it.

[...]We had software upgrades for 20 years, everyone seemed happy with them. [...]

I don't think so. Everyone was running a different version of everything in the process and thus, file formats were incompatible. Tutorials also didn't work and instructions needed to be written for all versions of something.

I don't think so. Everyone was running a different version of everything in the process and thus, file formats were incompatible. Tutorials also didn't work and instructions needed to be written for all versions of something.

Software subscriptions don’t really fix that. E.g. Unity now has version pinning because you don’t want to start a big project on version X and have random breakage caused by automatic updates. Cheetah 3D, Photoshop, Maya, etc. are all platforms, not just applications, so if you have a sophisticated workflow you can’t afford to let production suffer random outages caused by changes in your platform mid-project, so you’ll end up stuck on versions AND paying for a subscription.

That’s true. Actually, that’s a problem that gets worse with subscriptions because companies like Adobe don’t let you use older versions indefinitely, even when you have a subscription. At some point they’ll force you to upgrade, so if you have plug-ins that only work with older versions, you’re doomed.

Back