Combine Polygons

Give both meshes the colors and use the Boolean-tool (Tools->Polygon->Boolean subtract) and it will maintain material assignments:

Cheers
Frank

I must be doing something wrong then. is a color the same thing as a material that doesn't have a texture or is there a different way to apply a color?

I have a red material on the box and a white material on the ball. They are red and white until I put them inside a boolean subtract. At that point the ball becomes red even though the little material icon on the ball is still white.

* C3D creates construction lines - normally invisible - in the case of an applied Boolean (and many other transformations). These become visible if you switch to global wireframe.
* They remain after a split.
* A C3D render shows no artifacts, but I have no idea what Unity / Unreal / etc does with these, be it a simple Boolean or a split.

Guess I will just have to play with it and see what it looks like in Unity. Thanks again!

I must be doing something wrong then. is a color the same thing as a material that doesn't have a texture or is there a different way to apply a color?

I have a red material on the box and a white material on the ball. They are red and white until I put them inside a boolean subtract. At that point the ball becomes red even though the little material icon on the ball is still white.

Boolean tool! Neither Boolean-modifier nor Boolean-creator will maintain material assignments.
As I said before you need to bake an image material to take it to Unity unless you have used red/white images as materials.

Cheers
Frank

Boolean tool! Neither Boolean-modifier nor Boolean-creator will maintain material assignments.
As I said before you need to bake an image material to take it to Unity unless you have used red/white images as materials.

Cheers
Frank

Hehe, ok, I am slow. I am a really fast programmer, really slow artist / modeler.

Thanks for your patients. I finally got what I was after. The thing that was keeping me from using the tool was then when I did it I ended up with half of the ball with a flat side. I didn't realize you control what is getting subtracted based on which item was above the other in the hierarchy list.

Now that I know that it works great!

Success! This time I think I mean it. I have it in Unity with a single mesh and the colors I want.

Thank you for helping so much. Well worth the money spent.

Back