Components in C3D?

Components in C3D?

I am used to Sketchup where I can create components then use instances throughout the scene. Does Cheetah3D have anything comparable? I know I can use arrays to create duplicates, but I am thinking of independent placement of geometry based on a "master" and edit the master (component) to update all instances.

Thanks.

Attachments

• C3dInstancing.jpeg
    C3dInstancing.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 233
The difference is I cannot move an instance anywhere in the scene without being linked to the original. This is a big limitation.

I thought when I copied & pasted I was duplicating the original object, not creating an instance. I apologize, I do not understand your explanation.

I thought when I copied & pasted I was duplicating the original object, not creating an instance. I apologize, I do not understand your explanation.

Instances are done via particle meshes in the case above.

In other words aspects of the geometry (points, polygons, edges etc.) of the target mesh determines the placement of the instances.

For example, you can create an empty polygonobject and make that the target geometry for the particle mesh.
Make your instance object a child of the particle mesh.
With the particle mesh's type set to point you can now insert points on the polygonobject (ie. anywhere) to create instances of your object.

Last edited:
Just a side note; when using just points/vertices as references you won´t be able to apply any rotation manually - just via the particle tag. So if you need any further control use tiny (invisible) quads.

Cheers
Frank

Just a side note; when using just points/vertices as references you won´t be able to apply any rotation manually - just via the particle tag. So if you need any further control use tiny (invisible) quads.

Cheers
Frank

Good point. (excuse the pun)

I just did this with a plane and just copied an pasted the original quad in edit mode.

Works a treat!

Thank you both. This seems very convoluted compared to simply dragging out an "instance" from a "component library" and positioning it at will. I realize I have a lot to learn.

Thank you both. This seems very convoluted compared to simply dragging out an "instance" from a "component library" and positioning it at will. I realize I have a lot to learn.

Yes, instancing in C3D relies on futzing with the particle system which is both fiddly and lacking in control. I hope there's a better option someday.

Back