subdivision

subdivision

I have created a polygon object with a number of faces. I then apply the subdivision modifier this smooths the shape and puts a radius on the corners. Is possible to stop the subdivision modifier affecting 1 point or an edge so the radius doesnt occur? I understand that i can use Crease on an edge bewteen 2 faces but this doesnt seem to work on the actual edge of the object.

Not sure my explanation is clear!! Hope someone can help, thanks.

Adrian

Hi plant.
I would like to help, but there are too many ways to model something. A screenshot or any idea of what you´re after would be helpful.
With kindest regards
Frank

PS. cutting a poly close to it´s edge will generate a tiny, even less visible radius to a corner.

Subdivision

Thanks for getting back. I was messing about trying to make form something like the wing of a car (see below). I was just curious whether there was a way to stop the modifier affecting a point or edge so the corner indicated could be square.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 310
Hi plant.
As I was guessing; make two ringcuts by "clicking and drawing" it near the edge.
SubDi.jpg

With kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
Hey Frank, I too am trying to do this at the moment... And the problem with the ring cut is that even though it is lessened the corner is still being rounded.

Is there a way to stop the edges getting affected by the subdivision at all?

Do you think a crease should be able to stop this? Should I log it as a request?

Hey Frank, I too am trying to do this at the moment... And the problem with the ring cut is that even though it is lessened the corner is still being rounded.
Is there a way to stop the edges getting affected by the subdivision at all?
Making a diagonally creased edge at the corner will make a sharp corner - see image
you think a crease should be able to stop this? Should I log it as a request?
I know 3dsMax has a turbo-smooth tool which supports creased outer edges - but I´m not sure if this is just a display option.
creasedSubDivs.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Back