applying material to STL import?

applying material to STL import?

hello again,
I've imported a model from Vectorworks as an STL file.
It's come in as a Polygon object with 1566 polygons. The number of polygons doesn't seem to change whether I export at low res (80Kb) or high (460Kb) but the number of Points does.

I tried applying an image based material but the texture does not appear on the object in normal view or when rendered, only a flat colour "approximation" of the texture.
A native CH object of the same size with the same texture behaves properly.

I've tried altering the Scale of the material and the UV Scale, each in orders of magnitude ranging from 0.001 to 1000 but the result looks the same regardless

Is this a reasonable number of polygons for an object?
How can I get it to render the texture?

N.

Re: applying material to STL import?

propstuff said:
hello again,
I've imported a model from Vectorworks as an STL file.
It's come in as a Polygon object with 1566 polygons. The number of polygons doesn't seem to change whether I export at low res (80Kb) or high (460Kb) but the number of Points does.

I don't own Vectorworks so I'm not really sure what the low and high res options make. Maybe high res just means that the coordinates of the polygons are written out with a higher numerical accuracy.

propstuff said:
I tried applying an image based material but the texture does not appear on the object in normal view or when rendered, only a flat colour "approximation" of the texture.
A native CH object of the same size with the same texture behaves properly.

I've tried altering the Scale of the material and the UV Scale, each in orders of magnitude ranging from 0.001 to 1000 but the result looks the same regardless

The .stl file format doesn't contain information about the UV coords which are necessary for texture mapping. Add a UV Tag to the object and choose an appropriate "mapping type". For example "cube mapping". Now Cheetah3D will assigne uv coords to your object. If you don't assign UVcoords Cheetah3D uses the standard uv coord (0,0) for all polygons which results in a flat color.

By,
Martin

I too am trying to figure out how to change the size of the texture map that I have added.

Where does one do this?

Cheers,

Wm

Back