Gold Coins

Gold Coins

Hi guys, does anyone have an idea how I might create piles of gold coins without placing them one by one?

Thanks

Terry

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 18,647
Displacement Modifier? You might have to adjust the image you use to make it smooth. I grabbed some really bad coin pile images off of Google just to test it. Didn’t look great, but with some tweaking it might be the way to go. Probably could have used a Sub-D on it too. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in though with a better solution.

Hey Terry!

the right (physical) way of doing this should be Hiroto's BP script... but I'm afraid it will bring your mac to its knees.

a "reasonable" way of doing could be cheating with a background image and a few (hundreds of) "real" coins, placed with a particle mesh.

I guess you'll have to try and tell us...

cheers,
Alessandro

BTW, in a perfect world you'd be able to use instancing AND bullet physics... that'd be another story :)

Edit: had a quick go and the particle mesh should be quite near to what you're looking for... check it out

Attachments

• GoldCoins.jpg
    GoldCoins.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 2,327
  • GoldCoins.jas.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
As per Alessandro's post — particle mesh should work. You just didn't really try it.

The big issue with a particle mesh will be overlapping coins. The way I dealt with this (kind of) was to use point particles and a small random offset so the coins are fairly evenly spaced.

Attachments

• pile o gold.jpg
    pile o gold.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 17,462
  • pile o gold.jas.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 262
Thanks Alessandro and Pod for trying, much appreciated. But it is the over lapping coins that's the issue, I know the client will pick up on that. So unfortunately I'll have to place them one by one. Oh well, that's life.

Cheers

Terry

Bit of a long shot but could you not just use the bullet physics script and drop a bunch of them onto a plane? You'd still have to create each object but you wouldn't have to place and position each one individually.

Bit of a long shot but could you not just use the bullet physics script and drop a bunch of them onto a plane? You'd still have to create each object but you wouldn't have to place and position each one individually.

Good idea, Dave, I'll try and figure that out. :icon_thumbup:

Just one thing, recommended by Hiroto. Before you do the physics simulation, make sure you have a low-poly and high-poly version of the coins. Do the simulation with the low-poly proxy, and then replace with the higher rez version. That way the simulation will run faster.

Just one thing, recommended by Hiroto. Before you do the physics simulation, make sure you have a low-poly and high-poly version of the coins. Do the simulation with the low-poly proxy, and then replace with the higher rez version. That way the simulation will run faster.

Thanks Andreu. I intend to keep the coins low poly. I'll try to figure the script out over the weekend. I just don't want to spend a day trying to figure something out when I could have done it by hand quicker. :smile:

I don't think it will be too bad Terry, I've played with it a few times and for what you're doing I think you'll have it sorted in a couple of hours

One important thing: keep objects large (like a 1m diameter coin). That helps the physics engine with the collisions.

hello

if you want to use bullet script, I recommend particle simulation of CheetahBullet for it. so, I tried to make sample scene for dropping coins onto floor.

http://www.tres-graficos.jp/c3d/ch_coins.zip

it has 2 files, coins.jas is a scene using CheetahBullet scripts, so It requires an installation of CheetahBullet scripts. "Simulation" folder contains all objects for simulation ( collision calculation ), these objects will not rendered, just used for simlulation. In this sample, I used Cylinder primitives for coin collision ( Cylinder primitive is also used as collision primitive in bullet, so faster and more accurate than polygon mesh. ). and also Cylinder primitives are used for "CheetahBullet Particle Rep" ( object for showing simulation result of Particle object ), but If you want more detailed coin, please replace those primitives (NOT one in Simulation folder!!) to detailed polygon mesh, that has almost same collision size.
please check sample scene for more detail.

another one is no-required script scene, has particle object generated by simulation result for making still renderings.

demo movie is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJ5KPrLx0g

please check it.

regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

Last edited:
hello

if you want to use bullet script, I recommend particle simulation of CheetahBullet for it. so, I tried to make sample scene for dropping coins onto floor.

http://www.tres-graficos.jp/c3d/ch_coins.zip

it has 2 files, coins.jas is a scene using CheetahBullet scripts, so It requires an installation of CheetahBullet scripts. "Simulation" folder contains all objects for simulation ( collision calculation ), these objects will not rendered, just used for simlulation. In this sample, I used Cylinder primitives for coin collision ( Cylinder primitive is also used as collision primitive in bullet, so faster and more accurate than polygon mesh. ). and also Cylinder primitives are used for "CheetahBullet Particle Rep" ( object for showing simulation result of Particle object ), but If you want more detailed coin, please replace those primitives (NOT one in Simulation folder!!) to detailed polygon mesh, that has almost same collision size.
please check sample scene for more detail.

another one is no-required script scene, has particle object generated by simulation result for making still renderings.

demo movie is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJ5KPrLx0g

please check it.

regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

Thank you very much, Hiroto. I will try out your brilliant script tonight.

Cheers
Terry

Back