Help Texturing

Help Texturing

Does ANYBODY have a tutorial for trying to bring in textures in this program? Trying to texture something is a nightmare. It automatically tiles, when you turn the tiling off, the texture either disappears or stretches to infinity. It's just too confusing with all the UV stuff and the scale/offset controls on the texture itself. I just want to texture a plank, for pete's sake! So how do I do it???

Heres final render with a bump map added and a slight displacement.

Attachments

• render.jpg
    render.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 391
help texturing

Nope, doesn't help a bit. It still tiles an when I deselect the tiling, the texture just craps out completely. You're using a later version of Cheetah, too. I'm using 2.6. I can't go any higher without upgrading to OS X 10.4, which cost MONEY, which I dont' have. Why can't the program just fit the texture to the object? Seems like a simple enough proposition

help texturing

well, it worked on that. BUT my planks are not going horizontal, they're going vertical. does that make a difference? When I try to texture them when they're vertical, nothing goes right. do I have to model them horizontal first and then rotate them after I put the texture on? at least that seems to work, seems a bit much work though.

Hi tony41454.
My friend, you forgot to add the UV-tag (get it from where you will find the HDRI-tag a.s.o: between camera and cow) to your objects. Do so and you can scale and rotate your textures as a ....... or what ever you like.

With kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
help texturing

I'm sorry, but adding the UV tag DOESN"T help. I've tried it. It's a nightmare of jiggling the scale and offset values till your wrist cramps up. Can't this program just slap the texture on there with a few adjustments like every other 3D program I've got? I am really not happy with the way this program treats textures. Sure, it renders better than anything I've got but I can't use it that much because of the texture problem. Notice the example above. On one the texture did fine, on the other it tiled up. What made the difference? Is it the way it was modeled? Why did it do fine on one and not the other? It's just so confusing and frustrating.

Hi.
This is very, very strange.
Can you mail me this object and texture as a zipped jas-file.
I think it´s much easier than you might think.
with kindest regards
Frank

Hi Anthony.
You were so close.............but:
After adding the UV-tag, activating it in the Object browser, look for it´s properties and choose a mapping type. Cubic-mapping would do it in this case, because a plank is almost a stretched flattened cubic, ok?
Click now the "adapt scale-button" for what it´s for. Now drag the "green cage" over your plank; that´s it, or should I say: that was it?
With kindest regards
Frank

PS: couldn´t get your message earlier, hope it´s not too late;-(

Attachments

• uv-texturetorture.jpg
    uv-texturetorture.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 303
Red pen

frank beckmann said:
Hi Anthony.
You were so close.............but:
After adding the UV-tag, activating it in the Object browser, look for it´s properties and choose a mapping type. Cubic-mapping would do it in this case, because a plank is almost a stretched flattened cubic, ok?
Click now the "adapt scale-button" for what it´s for. Now drag the "green cage" over your plank; that´s it, or should I say: that was it?
With kindest regards
Frank

PS: couldn´t get your message earlier, hope it´s not too late;-(
Hey Frank are you using red pen? to draw on you image?

http://ianhenderson.org/redpen.html

Last edited:
Hi again.
It´s done in Intaglio, I won with the second Cheetah3d-Contest and I love this piece of software right from the stand (as a heavy Freehand-User of former times).
With kindest regards
Frank

Last edited:
Hi Uncle808US.
If you like that you can try Inkscape as well. Just a thought, because I saw, that you´re using Gimp so far. Inkscape is very powerfull, but I don´t like the X11-extension, because it slows down my machine. Please tell me ´bout your experience, if you try Inkscape.
with kindest regards
Frank

frank beckmann said:
Hi Uncle808US.
If you like that you can try Inkscape as well. Just a thought, because I saw, that you´re using Gimp so far. Inkscape is very powerfull, but I don´t like the X11-extension, because it slows down my machine. Please tell me ´bout your experience, if you try Inkscape.
with kindest regards
Frank
I'll second that. :grin:

Back