how can I move the axis of an object?

how can I move the axis of an object?

I'm trying to movie the axis so I can move an object from some were other than the center. I'm not sure how I can do this. If any one can help that would be great. Thank you

Hi,
you can't move the coordiante axes of parametric objects directly. But there exist two work arrounds.

1. Make the object (Polyobj or Spline) editable. Now select all polygons or controll points and move them with the transform tool. This has the same effect as moving the coordinate axes into the opposite direction themself.

2. If you have a light or a parametric object just drop it into a folder object. This way you can easily created nested transformation hirarchies. This technic is especially usefull for creating animations.

Hope that helps.

By,
Martin

Help

HI,

Thank you for your help I'm not sure if I asked the right question. Here is an example I have a finger I what the finger to move or pivot from the bottom of the finger not the middle is there way to do this? Thank you again for you help.

Re: Help

kroswell said:
HI,

Thank you for your help I'm not sure if I asked the right question. Here is an example I have a finger I what the finger to move or pivot from the bottom of the finger not the middle is there way to do this? Thank you again for you help.

Move the pivot point you want to the o,o,o position, make editable then do a burn transform under "tools".

Hi,
wow thats an interesting technic Jake. I wouldn't have come on that idea. But it works. :D

But I nevertheless plan a specialized tool for that purpose. A tool which works like a hinge. You just have to select some polygons and than you can rotate the selection arround an existing edge. That will help a lot if you want to bend a finger for example.

By,
Martin

P.S. Kroswell have you modeled a hand? Can I see it? :D

Not sure I get it...

Hi... I'm new to Cheetah, and have been just delighted by it! I am trying to animate the opening of a laptop computer. It's quite simple so far, my first 3D rendering besides SketchUp! I simply created two boxes, put them together, and mapped them with texture. Now, I want to animate the opening of the laptop (like a book) but the axis is in the center of the box, not on the edge like the spine of a book. I did the "burn transformation" that was suggested earlier, but isn't there a more appropriate way to change the axis to an edge, as opposed to the center?

Thanks, I hope someday soon I can help out!

Pete

Thanks...

Hello,

Thanks for the links. I admit, I did not search "doors" before posting, I did however search "hinge" and didn't find what I needed.

Thanks for your help, and I will search more thoroughly in the future.

I'm looking forward to being the "helper" I'm tired of being the "helpee" already, and I just bought Cheetah Saturday!

Pete

Martin -- I use the move / burn technique all the time BUT being able to actually position the pivot would be a really useful function.

* @Andy: moving the axis
:unsure: Are you referring to pivot mode? This, of course, shifts and rotates the axes of an object (including modifiers, …). Also see gadget mode, if useful.

You just have to select some polygons and than you can rotate the selection arround an existing edge. That will help a lot if you want to bend a finger for example.
Wait.
I understand this is an ancient thread, but does this still exist?
Can I use a polygons edge, (the vector between two vertices), as a pivot axis?

Back