Where To Get Character Content?

Where To Get Character Content?

I currently know of only two ways to get character data...

1) MakeHuman
2) DAZ

I'm guessing there are more sources, so should we list them here? Or, if such a listing already exists (seems likely) should we link to it here?

I'm particularly interested in free character data for the moment, so I can practice obtaining and importing characters before beginning to spend money.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

There are tons of places to get free models. Some places you have to sign up for an account. Also there are varying degrees of quality. Just do a search for something like "character" "free" ".obj" ".fbx" ".dae" "female" "male" etc. You may have to play around with terms, but there are a bunch out there. Of course be careful of licensing depending on what you want to do with them. (this usually means you can't re-sell the mesh, or embed in a game). I think typically just using them for renders would be ok. Some of the Blender websites also have user submitted files. Again you typically have to have an account with those websites also though to download anything.

I get the digital issues for 3d World Magazine, and they have content that comes with each issue. The subscription isn't free though.

Try Adobe Fuse... it's like MakeHuman, but far superior quality, much more customization options for textures, and allows for automatic rigging/animating through Mixamo. 100% free as of now. I switched to it from Makehuman and absolutely love it.

Many thanks for this suggestion ringoster. It sounds great.

I went to try to download it. After they had my email address they then told me that it won't run on my operating system, and told me to read the system requirements, which they didn't link to. I imagine it's probably one of the latest versions of OSX, but I couldn't find the info on their site.

As best I can tell, it's free for 500 days (which is pretty generous) but after that I suspect we'll be required to join their $50 per month club.

Upgrading my OS requires a new Mac here, but I am considering it and if I do, this will be high on my list. I really appreciate the tip!

There are tons of places to get free models. Some places you have to sign up for an account. Also there are varying degrees of quality. Just do a search for something like "character" "free" ".obj" ".fbx" ".dae" "female" "male" etc.
Whoa, this turned out to be great advice, thanks! With the first search I immediately found this site:

http://tf3dm.com/3d-models/characters/1/fbx

I downloaded a model, and imported to Cheetah. Seemed to work great.

The downloads seem to be in the 7z archive format. I had to download The Unarchiver to open those files.

Whoops, I spoke too soon.

First import in FBX format worked perfectly.

Second import wouldn't work in FBX, had to force quite Cheetah. Tried OBJ format next. Got the character, but assets don't show on character, though they appear on object browser.

Anyway, I'm sure I have much to learn about importing characters and will keep at it.

Last edited:
Here's what I've learned so far. This site....

http://tf3dm.com/3d-models/characters/1/fbx

...has lots of free characters, but....

They are in many different file formats. I have no idea which formats can be imported in to Cheetah, and the manual seems of little help.

I decided to focus only on characters with FBX files. Got a couple to work, most don't import at all, or seem broken once imported.

What do I need to learn here? What knowledge do I need to focus my search for downloadable characters which will work in Cheetah?

Thanks!

Back