How to get/set exact positions and sizes of faces?

How to get/set exact positions and sizes of faces?

Hi,

I am currently trying to use Cheetah 3D for creating 3D printable models.

One thing that I've found is that I need the ability to do things like:

1. Move faces & edges a certain distance from another one. I can use the ruler to visualize the difference between them but can't set it via my numpad.

2. Set the exact dimensions of a face, etc. So if I have a box and need the bottom face one size and the top another, the only way I can do that is to scale with my mouse. I need to scale precisely by entering a number.

3. I'd also love to be able to make an extrusion exactly N units high or inner extrude N units wide, etc. So if I extrude the top face of a box, some way to enter -30 to set the height of the extruded part, etc.

4. I know this doesn't exist but it sure would be nice to be able to see the HxWxL of any face and L of any edge when I mouse over it.

Short of that, being able to have multiple rulers so that I can see all the measurements I need to see all at once - you know - like 10 different rulers on the object that show all the measurements I set, etc.

Is there any way to do these things? Thanks.

Notes on precision

* In the tools panel for Transformations, enter the numeric values for X/Y/Z displacement.
* Ibid, use raster snapping with a manually entered value.
* Use the Transform modifier. Positions / rotation and scales can be entered manually for the 3 available parameters.
* When transforming points / edges / polys any manual editing via the gadget is shown in the parameters of the tool panel, i.e. these are updated as you move the element. You can also use the up/down arrows to control relevant parametric values.
* Consider using the dimensional parameters (eg width/height/length for a cube) instead of the scaling factor.
* The tool panel for extrusions / inner extrusions contains the quantise parameter which can be used to control the transformations. I believe the precision is 4 decimal digits.
* The commands Normal Move / Normal Scale allow manual input in the parameters for offset and factor.
* In some cases the status bar at the bottom shows the magnitude of numeric parameters.

Nice write up Helmut!

Also v7 has a numeric move entry as well as math expressions in the entry fields (meaning you can type a +,-,/,* equation in any numeric field and C3d will compute it for you. Very cool indeed!)

Hi Christopher
* Please see screen dumps for references.
* If, for whatever reason, there is no tool panel displayed on your C3D desktop, split an existing panel and install it.
* Ignore that I show decimal commas on my screen shots.

Attachments

• SS#1.png
    SS#1.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 366
  • SS#2.png
    SS#2.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 353
  • SS#3.png
    SS#3.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 350
  • SS#4.png
    SS#4.png
    30 KB · Views: 354
  • SS#5.png
    SS#5.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 355
* Use the Transform modifier. Positions / rotation and scales can be entered manually for the 3 available parameters.
What is the difference between the Transform Tool and the Transform Modifier I don't see any.
* When transforming points / edges / polys any manual editing via the gadget is shown in the parameters of the tool panel, i.e. these are updated as you move the element. You can also use the up/down arrows to control relevant parametric values.
I can't get this to work could you explain how to use the arrows?

Up/down arrow button

Hi Uncle Bob
* Re: Up/down arrow button:
* Please see screen shot. Click on the up/down button and drag the mouse (it may be a moose in your area of the US :rolleyes: up = +increment / down = -decrement . Alternatively, use the up/down "sub-buttons" individually by single clicking on the up or the down arrow part. This is a combined button.
* Mouse drags / single clicks seem to increment or decrement by 1/100th of a standard unit / by 1° on rotational angles. Fine tune by manual entry into the associated parametric entry field, if required precision > 2 decimal digits.
* This should work on all numeric parameters with the up/down arrow button at the right margin next to the parameter. PopUps have a slightly different button which - to my knowledge - just show the associated popUp menue.

Servus from Vienna
(not the one in VA or NY)

Attachments

• SS#1.png
    SS#1.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 344
Transform

* Transform gadget vs modifier
* Not sure, but my guesses are:
* The modifier has the advantage that it can be disabled / entirely deleted.
* Transforming via the gadget, whilst not being destructive per se, does modify the positional / rotational / scalar params of the source entity.
* I simply prefer modifiers because the original object (be it parametric or editable) is “alive”. There is an additional level of fiddling, be it on the roof :rolleyes: or in the basement :frown: .

Hi Uncle Bob
* Re: Up/down arrow button:
* Please see screen shot. Click on the up/down button and drag the mouse (it may be a moose in your area of the US :rolleyes: up = +increment / down = -decrement . Alternatively, use the up/down "sub-buttons" individually by single clicking on the up or the down arrow part. This is a combined button.
* Mouse drags / single clicks seem to increment or decrement by 1/100th of a standard unit / by 1° on rotational angles. Fine tune by manual entry into the associated parametric entry field, if required precision > 2 decimal digits.
* This should work on all numeric parameters with the up/down arrow button at the right margin next to the parameter. PopUps have a slightly different button which - to my knowledge - just show the associated popUp menue.

Servus from Vienna
(not the one in VA or NY)
OK I thought you were talking about the Keyboard arrows (DUH)
PS Thanks for emailing Frank.
No Moose here :38.9784° N, 76.4922° W
Thanks for the help.

The modifier has the advantage that it can be disabled / entirely deleted.
* Transforming via the gadget, whilst not being destructive per se, does modify the positional / rotational / scalar params of the source entity.
* I simply prefer modifiers because the original object (be it parametric or editable) is “alive”. There is an additional level of fiddling, be it on the roof  or in the basement  .
Ahh The on off is a nice thing in the modifier I will just have to figure out how to use this in my work flow.

OK I thought you were talking about the Keyboard arrows (DUH)
PS Thanks for emailing Frank.
No Moose here :38.9784° N, 76.4922° W
Thanks for the help.

People have asked for a keyboard arrow nudge, but so far it hasn't been added. Would be really handy though. I'm so used to it in vector apps.

* Just wait until November :confused:
* There may be moose from Canada to the Great Wall of Mexico, including the aptly named Whiskey Bottom, MD of bootlegging fame.
* Oh, deer!

This is all I've ever seen in the Transform panel:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 5.32.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 5.32.50 PM.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 595
measurement read out?

I need to move some vertices on two matching parts of a model. I want to do some scaling. What I need is a way to see how far I have scaled the vertices so when I go to the other side of the model I can move the vertices the same distance. This model is rigged so mirroring will not do in this circumstance. Is there a way to see the distances I have scaled?
I searched for Info on Google using: Cheetah+3d+scaling+distance+information but only found this link but I still don't know how to do this. Thanks

Attachments

• Measurment.gif
    Measurment.gif
    132.1 KB · Views: 239
Back