DAZ to Cheetah?

DAZ to Cheetah?

My interest is in animating characters.

I'm making characters with MakeHuman for now, but am guessing I'll wind up in the Daz store sooner or later.

Could someone please confirm that I can buy characters and their assets in the Daz store and import them in to Cheetah?

Assuming yes, could you please provide a ball park idea of how that process actually works. Do I download a bunch of files from Daz, and then import them in to Cheetah, just as I'm doing with MakeHuman?

Do I download the purchased files directly from the Daz web site, or do I need to use the Daz software interface?

Thanks. I'm just trying to confirm I will eventually be able to do what I want to do in 3D before I climb the learning curve.

You have to watch your DAZ licenses in terms of how you use content sold on the site. It is usually only licensed for renders.

Animations you create in DAZ can be exported and imported to C3D as bvh (via script) or possibly as FBX

Content can be exported from DAZ in many formats supported by C3D. If you want to create morph targets for an existing DAZ character you should export in OBJ, import to C3D, re-export your changes in OBJ for import to DAZ.

You have to watch your DAZ licenses in terms of how you use content sold on the site. It is usually only licensed for renders.

Ah, do you mean that I typically would not legally be able to use DAZ character content in animations, but only in still images? Or am I confused?

Animations you create in DAZ can be exported and imported to C3D as bvh (via script) or possibly as FBX

Thanks for this info. I probably won't be creating animations in DAZ, but who knows what the future will bring.

Content can be exported from DAZ in many formats supported by C3D. If you want to create morph targets for an existing DAZ character you should export in OBJ, import to C3D, re-export your changes in OBJ for import to DAZ.

Ok, so if I understand you, there's little stopping me from animating DAZ characters in Cheetah, except maybe the license?

Technically there are probably few restrictions.

What you do for your own testing and education is most likely only up to yourself.

When it comes to publishing, general use outside of DAZ and derivative works, you'll have to read the license.

Back